sblantipodi

Intel G3 and Sandforce F2000...

Hi all,

is there an estimated date on when we can purchase on of this two drives?

I mean Intel G3 or Sandforce F2000 ssds.

Intel claimed that G3 should be announced on G1 2011, where is this annoucements?

Where is the SSDs?

Hi all,

is there an estimated date on when we can purchase on of this two drives?

I mean Intel G3 or Sandforce F2000 ssds.

Intel claimed that G3 should be announced on G1 2011, where is this annoucements?

Where is the SSDs?

We are 13 days into the year, give them a bit of time, Q1 is until March

Intel didn't claim Q1 '11 ever that I know of. I assume what you're referring to is the leaked roadmap, which is much different from a public declaration. Intel hasn't even formally announced the G3 SSD have they? Anyway, I don't know that I'd expect the G3 in the next two months, but it should be 1H at least. Then again, it depends on what you're wanting, the true refresh of the X25-M with 25nm NAND or a SATA 6Gb/s SSD.

As to SandForce, they have only announced the enterprise controller. I'd guess 3Q for the consumer controller, though OCZ certainly has other ideas, promoting their Vertex 3 at CES, so maybe we'll see it a little earlier, perhaps closer to mid year.

Intel didn't claim Q1 '11 ever that I know of. I assume what you're referring to is the leaked roadmap, which is much different from a public declaration. Intel hasn't even formally announced the G3 SSD have they? Anyway, I don't know that I'd expect the G3 in the next two months, but it should be 1H at least. Then again, it depends on what you're wanting, the true refresh of the X25-M with 25nm NAND or a SATA 6Gb/s SSD.

As to SandForce, they have only announced the enterprise controller. I'd guess 3Q for the consumer controller, though OCZ certainly has other ideas, promoting their Vertex 3 at CES, so maybe we'll see it a little earlier, perhaps closer to mid year.

Hi Brian,

many thanks for the reply.

I'm waiting for the 0.25nm from Intel or SandForce. Do you think that it have sense to wait?

What are you talking about? What are the X25-M 0.25nm OR SATA 6Gb/s?

Do you mean that we will see a "normal" G2 with SATA 6 before the new G3 with 0.25nm?

So G3 is really far from now.

I can't really comment on what Intel is going to offer.

As to whether or not it makes sense to wait...I'd say if you're considering the SF-1200, probably not. The main benefit form the new processor is going to be SATA 6Gb/s. Do you have a machine that can take advantage of this? That's the first question. Second, is whether or not you do anything that requires the performance.

I can't really comment on what Intel is going to offer.

As to whether or not it makes sense to wait...I'd say if you're considering the SF-1200, probably not. The main benefit form the new processor is going to be SATA 6Gb/s. Do you have a machine that can take advantage of this? That's the first question. Second, is whether or not you do anything that requires the performance.

Thanks for the answer and help brian.

I have a sandy bridge P67 mobo so yes I have a good 6Gb/s channel and I need more performance with simulators that requires too much to load.

Do you mean that SF-2000 will be simply a SF-1200 with a SATA 6Gb/s ?

Thanks.

Simply? That's putting it simply no? But more or less, the new processor will give you more performance, some of it thanks to the 6Gb/s interface. If you can't wait, maybe the C300? That gets you more or less where you'd want to be today.

Simply? That's putting it simply no? But more or less, the new processor will give you more performance, some of it thanks to the 6Gb/s interface. If you can't wait, maybe the C300? That gets you more or less where you'd want to be today.

at the moment I know that G3 is imminent,

Crucial C400 should be shipped on February,

SF2000 is quite far.

So.

Am I wrong? Should I wait for some new SSD like C400?

You're not wrong, the C400 should be a very nice performing SSD. But you're only picking up 17% and open to all the problems new drives have. I don't know, I just can't imagine the performance difference is worth the risk and extra cost. But that's just me.

http://www.storagereview.com/micron_realssd_c400_and_c400v_ssds_announced_storage_visions_2011

You're not wrong, the C400 should be a very nice performing SSD. But you're only picking up 17% and open to all the problems new drives have. I don't know, I just can't imagine the performance difference is worth the risk and extra cost. But that's just me.

http://www.storagereview.com/micron_realssd_c400_and_c400v_ssds_announced_storage_visions_2011

Hi Brian, I always read your site, I like how you work and I trust you.

What would you do if you had a new Sandy Bridge Mobo with P67 PCH and an Intel I7 2600 without an SSD for primary OS???

Should I wait G3 or C400, should I buy a G2 a Vertex 2 or a C300 now?

I need zero problem and maximum reliability for my data, I need performance on small files.

My data is stored on a WD Black 2002FAEX.

What do you suggest?

Well if it were me, I would wait until someone I trusted was able to benchmark and stress test the new drives before I made any decisions.

Yea the current crop of Intel and SandForce drives are *really* fast and will probably be perfect in your new system. With that said the newer C400 or G3 could offer substantial boosts in performance, and might be reliable as hell. Only time will tell though, they need to get in reviewers hands.

Agreed, how much is reliability important to you? For many SSD owners, it's critical. I'd go with an SF-1200 drive today and wait and see what happens with the new crop.

Agreed, how much is reliability important to you? For many SSD owners, it's critical. I'd go with an SF-1200 drive today and wait and see what happens with the new crop.

What you say Brian is law for me in this matter.

Reliability is the most important thing for me.

Is this what you are saying?

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB (OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G)

You are very kind helping us on the forum, can you also explain why of your suggestion? if possible.

Thanks!!!

Edited by sblantipodi

The OCZ is fine. I'd probably prefer the Patriot, Corsair or OWC models though. See what the prices are for the capacity you want and go with the best deal.

The OCZ is fine. I'd probably prefer the Patriot, Corsair or OWC models though. See what the prices are for the capacity you want and go with the best deal.

I'm not able to see noticeble difference between ocz, corsair or patriot. what are the differences?

Thanks for the patience.

I'm not able to see noticeble difference between ocz, corsair or patriot. what are the differences?

Thanks for the patience.

Well I might go with Corsair or Patriot in that group. Neither of those manufacturers had any problems in testing here at StorageReview. The OCZ failed on our test bench out of the box until we sorted it out as a firmware bug and updated. Between Corsair and Patriot, we have had good results with their F40, F90, and F120 drives... all rock solid through our stress testing. On the Patriot side we have only been able to test the 120GB Inferno.

Well I might go with Corsair or Patriot in that group. Neither of those manufacturers had any problems in testing here at StorageReview. The OCZ failed on our test bench out of the box until we sorted it out as a firmware bug and updated. Between Corsair and Patriot, we have had good results with their F40, F90, and F120 drives... all rock solid through our stress testing. On the Patriot side we have only been able to test the 120GB Inferno.

Ok, I will buy three F120.

Thank you all for the valuable help.

If you decide the 120GB is too much, know that EDIT: ***Corsair*** offers the only 90GB SF-1200 SSD that I know of as well. We recently posted a review, great drive at the $190 price point.

If you decide the 120GB is too much, know that EDIT: ***Corsair*** offers the only 90GB SF-1200 SSD that I know of as well. We recently posted a review, great drive at the $190 price point.

Thanks brian, I have ordered three F120, 199€ for one piece.

Really thanks!

That's about $265 here, not too much of a premium. Where are you anyway?

And be sure to post your results when you get the drive!

That's about $265 here, not too much of a premium. Where are you anyway?

And be sure to post your results when you get the drive!

Sure Brian, I will post results as soon as my system will be complete. I'm from Italy.

I've got all the components, I have ordered the CPU (I7 2600) and the SSD (Corsair F120) from the net

and now I'm waiting for the arrival.

EDIT: ***Corsair*** offers the only 90GB SF-1200 SSD that I know of as well.

Others: OCZ Agility 2, OCZ Vertex 2, Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe (who made up that name?!). The Agility 2 90 GB is starting at 132€ now in Germany - quite a deal!

MrS

Thanks for the addition, OCZ never told us about the 90's. As to Mushkin, I don't know, the product name is horrible and they're pretty small. I'd go with one of the more established brands.