Sign in to follow this  
Brian

WD Scorpio Black 750GB (WD7500BPKT) Hard Drive Shipping

Just a few months after we reviewed and enjoyed the Scorpio Black 500GB notebook hard drive, Western Digital has announced it's shipping the 750GB model for those looking for a blend of capacity and high performance. The 2.5" drive features 7200 RPM spin speed, 16MB cache and leverages Advanced Format technology.

Full Story

Sorry, I did and forgot to report back. It's two platters. And we have our review sample and are working it over now :)

I wonder when WD will take the Piezoelectric technology from the 2TB Caviar Black and put it into the Scorpio Black..hopefully the 1TB model ;)

Edited by danwat1234

I added to your other thread, but for the benefit of others, we're having some trouble with bad performance on one of our real world traces. We're working with WD on it now and should have some direction by the end of this week as to what they think the problem is.

(Just figured that I would post my question in this thread as well. I'm not sure which the review team will be more likely to see.)

Can you please provide a little more information on what the benchmark is or an estimation on when a resolution will possibly be reached? I previously had the 750GB 7200 rpm Momentus but returned it last week because it ran abnormally hot and had higher-than-average error rates (in the SMART status). I returned it for the 750GB Black. I haven't put the Black in my laptop yet, but according to reviews that are already out (http://techreport.co...icles.x/20255/1), it is much faster than the Momentus (the Momentus seemed kind of slow for a 750 GB 7200 rpm drive) and beats the 500 GB Black in most of the tests as well. The review I read said that it was basically the fastest mechanical laptop drive currently on the market (besides the Velociraptors, of course, which I don't think are designed for laptops even though they are 2.5"), and all the benchmarks looked good. I was going to wait to install the drive until I heard your scoop on the drive and see what the possible problem was.

Omega - I killed your other post, it's more relevant here...and we see ALL :)

No, the VRs are not designed for notebooks, unless you want to watch yours melt ;)

We ran some data from our benchmarks against two engineering drives from WD and sent them back on Tuesday. I'm checking in today to see where we stand. Generally, the drive is very fast, but since our benchmarks work differently than the synthetics, we picked up this anomale. We can't rule out a bad drive, fluke in firmware, etc yet, but will keep you posted.

No, the VRs are not designed for notebooks, unless you want to watch yours melt ;)

We ran some data from our benchmarks against two engineering drives from WD and sent them back on Tuesday. I'm checking in today to see where we stand. Generally, the drive is very fast, but since our benchmarks work differently than the synthetics, we picked up this anomale. We can't rule out a bad drive, fluke in firmware, etc yet, but will keep you posted.

Great, thank you for your quick response. I will continue to check this thread for updates.

Hi,

Any news about the review of the WD7500BPKT harddrive? I read about some legacy problems with WD HD with the Advanced Format (AF) feature. Im thinking of buying this drive or the WD5000BEKT. Which one is better? Thanks for your help.