Sign in to follow this  
chaw

Question about reinstalling windows on master drive?

I recently bought and installed an internal slave drive to store all my data. I transferred all my music,games, videos, etc. from the master drive to the slave drive and now i want to do a fresh reinstall of windows 7 on the master drive. Im not sure if formatting my master drive would affect my slave drive, the data, and my computer's ability to detect the slave drive after i format. Should i unhook my slave drive and then format? or can i leave it connected and be fine after windows is installed?

Ive been tried googling many times, but haven't gotten a straightforward answer. can someone that's done this before help? thanks.

Formatting a drive actually means erasing all data on it. That's all. Has absolutely nothing to do with any other piece of hardware you have installed in your machine. Just make sure you don't format the slave :)

So, to answer your question: you can safely leave the slave connected, Windows will not touch it in any harmful way. It will only create some RECYCLE BIN and SYSTERM RESTORE related folders on it.

Ok thanks. I wasn't sure because i dont want to lose 100+GB of music. The reason i ask is because when i did some research i noticed that some people were having trouble with the slave drive not being recognized, or they couldnt access their data on the slave drive after they formatted the master drive.

hopefully i dont experience any of those problems.

as extra insurance, you can unplug your slave drive while re-installing windows. This is optional, but will guarantee your drive wont be affected by the windows re-installation and re-formatting.