kittle

New Thinkpad T500 with a Intel X-25M 160GB SSD

Well I went and jumped on the ssd in laptop bandwagon. Replaced the drive in my Thinkpad T500 with a new intel X-25M 160gb drive. Using the software from intel, I just cloned the old drive to the new SSD as they were both the same size. Win7 was already installed on the old drive (by me). I havent run any benchmarks, but aside from the faster boot time, things dont "feel" much faster when im using the laptop.

Aside from disabling the services listed in this tread, is there another step I need to do to "align" the partition? or would win7 have taken care of that on the previous drive? .. which was then copied to the new drive.

The cloning aligned for you, that's a lovely feature of the new Intel SSD Toolbox, I wish more vendors offered integrated tools like clone and secure erase.

On the T500 specifically, you're not the first to raise the issue of feeling the difference. I think part of the "problem" is that with nice systems like that, the drive is less of a bottleneck. What specs did you end up with?

Also - I'm going to move this to its own thread since it's a little less about optimizing for Win 7.

kittle, I had the same feeling when I put the same Intel drive in my Thinkpad T510. Like you, I haven't really done any benchmarking (too busy actually using the machine). After using it a bit, I definitely think it is a bit snappier, but I couldn't tell you by how much.

kittle, I had the same feeling when I put the same Intel drive in my Thinkpad T510. Like you, I haven't really done any benchmarking (too busy actually using the machine). After using it a bit, I definitely think it is a bit snappier, but I couldn't tell you by how much.

What was the HDD you replaced?

How old is the notebook? Do you have a lot of applications installed? Reason I ask is the biggest difference you start to realize about the SSD is it doesnt bog down like a HDD after a few months. You never have fragmentation issues or anything like that. If you are comparing a clean install to a HDD, you might not notice some of the differences.

you cloned the drive is why. you need to do a new install. Win7 is going to optimize your system for SSD if it is detected during setup. if not, no dice.

also, make sure you are running achi. ssd arent that great on ide.

you can try to force win7 to kick over into 'ssd mode' by running winsat

elevate cmd prompt

type in:

winsat disk

this tests your disk using the same parameters as WEI, and is how the os identifies the SSD in the first place.

one more thing of note.

most laptops still are using sata 1. there is a place in there to unlock it to sata 2 in some laptops. in others you are bonered. there are even manufacturers who arent allowing sata 2 unless you buy the laptop with an SSD already installed!

it was initially for the purpose of power saving, to not use sata 2 btw. you can google and find people complaining about sata1 on lappies all over. there are even some 'hacked' bios out there allowing sata 2 for certain lappies.

Thanks for the replies.

I got the notebook in 2008. It came with vista pre-installed. After win7 came out, I reformatted and loaded in win7.

HW specs:

Dual core 2.5ghz CPU

4GB ram

160gb 7200rpm HD (sitting on kitchen counter right now).

"switchable" graphics between intel GMA and and ATI card.

Performance in vista was never really a big problem, it was all the "vista-isms" getting in the way that made me want to switch. </rant off>

I ran HD Tach 3.0.4 on it last nite and it shows a fairly steady 200mb/s read speed across the whole drive. I dont remember the other numbers as im posting this from memory while at work.

I'll check into the AHCI settings in the bios, and the winstat cmd to see what that does.

well running winsat disk shows the following (excerpts)

Disk sequential 64.0 Read 256.15MB/s 7.5

Disk Random 16. Read 194.53MB/s 7.7

Disk Sequential 6.40 Write 102.83MB/s 7.9

And then poking around in the bios shows its already in AHCI mode, and its a Core 2 Duo T9400 -- its a somewhat older CPU.

one experiment I did run -- it Loads into LOTRO MUCH MUCH faster than my i7 980x desktop machine. So there definately some benifits there.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Well after using my laptop exclusively for 2 weeks while on christmas break - ive come to the conclusion its working just fine. So unless something goes wrong, im going to leave it as is.