Sign in to follow this  
julie2011

What's the latest storage/back-up system for a small business with

My small business has 9 TB of data (mostly video and graphic files) that needs to be shared among co-workers and also backed up safely. What's the latest economical system(s)?

I was thinking of copying all the data which now resides in different external hard drives to a NAS (Network Attached Server). As for the back-up, I looked into storing the data in a cloud (Amazon S3), but it might be out of our budget since we have so much data. Are tape back-ups a cheaper option? Any other alternatives? Perhaps using just the cloud instead of also storing the files in a local server?

Thank you very much!

What do you mean by economical - what sort of budget are you working with?

I'll try to come up with a figure, but the most economical option, the better! Also, what would I need to budget for software? Thank you so much in advance for your suggestions!

Edited by julie2011

9TB.. do you need much expansion room? What kind of performance do you need?

To be on the safe side, I'm thinking of getting a NAS with twice that capacity. File servers are like suitcases, the more space you have, the more you'll fill it, right?

As for performance, I'm looking for a file server for 10-15 people to upload/download video and large graphic files, and a back-up system that's not too complicated or involved to use. It doesn't need to be super high-end system... something reliable, functional, and inexpensive.

Thanks again!

Well, QNap and some others make nice NAS devices that can take enough drives for your needs. Not terribly cheap but not too bad either. That would be the easiest, most self-contained start...

Bah, as soon as I thought 10TB...you could go with 3TB WD Greens, and get 15TB out of something like this, assuming they support the new 3TB drives, which I think they do.

Bah, as soon as I thought 10TB...you could go with 3TB WD Greens, and get 15TB out of something like this, assuming they support the new 3TB drives, which I think they do.

Thanks for the suggestions! I called both Synology and QNap and they will support 3TB drives very soon. So I'll probably wait for that; otherwise, I would probably have to go with an 8-bay system to make sure we have room to expand.

The two systems I'm considering are:

1. Synology 5 bay with the 5 bay expansion (with RAID-5): http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS1010+/index.php

2. Qnap 6 (or 8) bay (with RAID-5): http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=145

Someone else recommended a Netgear Pro 6-bay.

As for the back-ups, I'm thinking of using the Synology 5 bay expansion as a cost-effective back-up for the Synology 5 bay NAS. Or, if I go with Qnap, then buying another 6-bay Qnap.

Alternately, I'm considering only backing up some of the data, and buying a smaller, 2-bay NAS, which I can store in a location outside of the office when not performing back-ups.

Any other suggestions for backing up the NAS?

Thanks all!

We're testing both the Synology and QNAP 4-bay systems now and strongly prefer the speed to build and the software of the Synology. We have a Netgear too, but haven't been able to get to it just yet.

Maybe it's a wrong suggestion, but I recently acuired for my "small business" an XIV and all peaople are more than happy with it. It may be way beyond over the top for your needs but for huge amounts of storage you need different calculations for sefety and redundancy. So when you actually need 9TB I would never buy storage hardware which could hold less than at least twice that much. Also access and IOPS to that data might be important. NAS systems tend to scale not that well if you have many users doing heavy lifting. So a SAN would be much better.

But now we are talking enterprise hardware with FC or iSCSI connections. So it really depends on you budget. If you can afford loosing all data and hardware and build up everything from scratch in days with a previously made backup, than a NAS build for home-use should be fine.

Also it should be common sense that if the data is important it should never be backed up on another harddrive, at least not at the same location. I just had a custome with a major power and UPS fail who lost his main storage and his backup on his NAS ;)