Sign in to follow this  
lazerath

Beating the Fusion I/O and RevoDrive x2 for SQL Server

Hello, first time poster. Love the site.

You guys have a lot of great knowledge on SSDs and storage performance, so I wanted to bounce something off you. I operate a small business with a heavy data processing load that is I/O bound, so I'm looking to get the most IOPS I can get for as "cheap" as possible.

Our main database server is a Dell PowerEdge 2950 running SQL Server 2005. Right now, we have over 50 spindles in three arrays. I need to increase I/O, so I am considering SSDs. I've looked at the Fusion I/O PCI-E drive as well as the RevoDrive x2, but these aren't scalable for us (we have one PCI-E x8 slot available).

I am considering a radical concept: take a Dell PowerVault MD1220 which supports 24 x 2.5" drives and stuff it with OCZ Vertex 2 120GB drives. The array would attach with a Dell PERC H800 Raid card to the server via two SAS x4 cables, so bandwidth would be 24 Gb/s per cable.

I am wondering if this setup has a chance of working. Dell doesn't officially support it, but as long as I get the IOPS and works I will be happy. I've also gotten conflicting information about whether or not a non-dell certified drive would even work in the array.

Can anyone see a reason why something like this wouldn't work or would otherwise give poor performance? I am considering a RAID 10. I was thinking this setup wouldn't benefit from TRIM... think that's a deal breaker?

If Dell doesn't work, what other options do I have? Are there any RAID cards and/or rackable storage chassis that someone could recommend? Is this a bad idea?

Any advice would be appreciated.

- Lazerath

Edited by lazerath

that PERC will nbot even begin to handle the power of those SSD. it will hold them back more than anything.

the fastest raid card available for your needs is a 9260-8i with Fastpath key. 160K IOPS @ 4k random. it is UBER.

get a good SSD with good GC, and say screw the trim. you will be fine without it.

my 9260 with 8 generation 1 crappy 30 gb vertex beat the pants off the Fusion I/O, not only in max read speed (i hit 1.875 gb/s, top is 2.8 read) but in IOPS and real world testing as well. imagine if you get 8 C300 on there.

here are results of this controller with several different arrays: intels, c300's, vertexes, and acards.

this is by far the fastest solution on the planet right now :)

FASTPATH

check out post 83 for nice summary

Edited by Computurd

that PERC will nbot even begin to handle the power of those SSD. it will hold them back more than anything.

the fastest raid card available for your needs is a 9260-8i with Fastpath key. 160K IOPS @ 4k random. it is UBER.

get a good SSD with good GC, and say screw the trim. you will be fine without it.

my 9260 with 8 generation 1 crappy 30 gb vertex beat the pants off the Fusion I/O, not only in max read speed (i hit 1.875 gb/s, top is 2.8 read) but in IOPS and real world testing as well. imagine if you get 8 C300 on there.

here are results of this controller with several different arrays: intels, c300's, vertexes, and acards.

this is by far the fastest solution on the planet right now :)

FASTPATH

check out post 83 for nice summary

The PERC is a LSI Megaraid controller.

Its using LSI 2108 ROC which 9260 8i cards also use..

I see no reason why there shouldnt be a fastpath option.

Its using LSI 2108 ROC which 9260 8i cards also use..

unfortunately if it is like the Intel cards that are also LSI rebrands, it might be slow with firmware updates, and might not hit the performance of the LSI branded controllers. the intels have always had this problem, even though they are the exact same thing. that is why many users would crossflash the firmware, before they stopped allowing it.