Sign in to follow this  
b0g0mips

"up-to" limit on HDD enclosure?

I have an old-ish Vantec Nexstar 3 external HDD enclosure (the USB 2 & eSata model), which I bought in +/-2006.

I placed a 320Gb drive into the enclosure at the time, but I would like to upgrade the drive to a 2Tb drive...

I don't have the box / manual anymore, but I've noticed new Vantec products state "up to 1.5Tb" on the back of the box...

This makes me wonder - will I be able to re-purpose this old Nexstar 3 with a 2Tb HDD?

Does anyone know if the "up-to" statement is just marketing-speak, or does external enclosures actually come with a hard-limit on the max size?

Thanks!

The enclosures generally just state the limit at whatever the current largest drive size is, though currently the 3TB limit would be an exception. Anyway, I don't know if there's a firmware limitation on the enclosure or not, there's usually a little controller board in those things. It's probably worth dropping an email to support there just to be sure, but I'd think you have a better than 50/50 chance. Worst case, enclosures are pretty cheap these days if you need something more modern.

I have had 2TB drives work in all my external enclosures - 3TB drives are hit or miss.

What I don't understand is why so many eSATA enclosures have logic in them - why don't they just pass the signal through. Most of my external eSATA enclosures are good, but I have one Thermaltake dock that limits throughput to about 90MB/Sec in both directions.