Sign in to follow this  
trx

Samsung F2 reliability :(

Just wanted to infrom everybody to keep away from Samsung F2.

This advice is based on my personal experiance. All other experiances with Samsung F2 are welcome.

I have 32 of them in 3 different boxes on (different hardware, different locations etc.) and reliability statistics are very very bad:

- 5 of them had secotor rellocation issues (I had to write zeroes to make drive relocate sector) ~16% of 32 drives

- 2 of them had errors I could not repair, so I've send them back and got new ones ~6% of 32 drives

:angry:

I had no problems with my data as all of them were in RAID5 and RAID6 configurations, but some average desktop user would lose at least part of the data on each of those 7 drives (chances to fail are 7/32 ~ almost 22% ).

So, in my opinion, 22% failure rate is realy something to avoid.

Be smart.

Are these all from different purchase dates and random lots?

I assume all drives were properly cooled and supplied with clean power? Over how long did you operate these drives?

32 drives is WAYYYY too small of a sample size to blatantly declare them unreliable. Maybe look into another supplier.

I can understand your frustration with F2 drives. I had 4 150GB Raptors all die within 24-30 months and all were purchased at different times from multiple vendors. However, WD's replacement program upgraded all 4 to the newer V-Raptor so I am actually content, but I won't buy any more V-Raptors ever again.

I have over 30 Seagate drives including 14 1TB 7200.12, 3 500GB 7200.11, 6 2TB LP 5900rpm, 6 2TB Constellation ES and a few older 7200.10 drives. Not a SINGLE drive has died over the last 4 years due to wear and tear. Only 2 Seagate drives died because I dropped one and threw the other a few feet.

My mantra is stick with what works for you.

I'll echo the OP's sentiments. Much as I like Samsung drives, I've had to RMA 4 out of 18 of my F2EGs and another 4 have minor errors that don't warrant replacing - yet. Triple-parity ZFS so bad sectors aren't really a concern for me either. These were from two different batches.

Good value for money but bad reliability in my personal sample.

Still, I've had 100% of the Seagate's I've owned fail, across 5 different generations so go figure.