Sign in to follow this  
CK8-04

WD15EARS-00MVWB0 - 2 or 3 platter drive?

I just received a WD15EARS at my door and it has a revision code of 00MVWB0. I know that a WD20EARS-00MVWB0 exists, but this is the first time I have seen this code on a WD15EARS. Does anyone know how many platters this drive uses?

wd15ears.jpg

Well if no one else knows for sure... then then easiest way would be to take a picture of the bottom construction and weigh it on a scale?

Then hopefully someone with a WD20EARS-00MVWB0 could take a look at theirs and weight it and check for comparison?

Actually you should be able to check by the transfer rate, a 750GB/platter model should have a higher transfer rate than a 500GB/platter model, although I am not sure of the actual performance differences.

Here is the bottom of the drive:

drive.jpg

My WD10EADS-00L5B1 has the exact same frame. I think this WD15EARS is indeed a 3 platter drive. I'll weigh the drive once I find a scale just to be sure.

I found a discussion in which it seems some people think it's 2-platter, 667GB/platter.... would convert or translate to 1.3 terabyte? Make any sense?

http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0000077882/BBSTabNo=1/CategoryCD=0530/ItemCD=053025/MakerCD=84/Page=2/ViewLimit=0/SortRule=1/

The change from 500GB/platter seems to have taken place around April 2010 date. I'm only guessing according to the discussion, though. I suppose the weight of the drive would indicate or confirm?

It could be a 2 platter, but it would have to use the new 750GB platters from the 3TB drive, which I doubt it is.

It could be a 2 platter, but it would have to use the new 750GB platters from the 3TB drive, which I doubt it is.

That's what I thought, too, but then what are they talking about? ;)