Brian

Viking Modular Enterprise 2.5" SSD Review

Viking Modular makes a variety of SSDs for enterprise users, based on the powerful SF-1500 controller form SandForce. We recently reviewed Viking Modular's unique SATADIMM SSD and found it very appealing, so there's little reason to doubt that we'll enjoy their 2.5" enterprise SSD; essentially the same specs as the SATADIMM, just in a more conventional form factor.

Full Review

Viking Modular makes a variety of SSDs for enterprise users, based on the powerful SF-1500 controller form SandForce. We recently reviewed Viking Modular's unique SATADIMM SSD and found it very appealing, so there's little reason to doubt that we'll enjoy their 2.5" enterprise SSD; essentially the same specs as the SATADIMM, just in a more conventional form factor.

Full Review

I only read about 80% of the review but I did do some searches. Maybe I missed it but I don't see mention of price or availability.

I tried googling for it and didn't see it for sale.

I only read about 80% of the review but I did do some searches. Maybe I missed it but I don't see mention of price or availability.

I tried googling for it and didn't see it for sale.

Sadly we weren't given any pricing information. Given the target market I think this is one of those situations where "if you have to ask..." ;)

Right, it's just sold through enterprise like the SATADIMM, so pricing will depend on your price level, etc.

either SLM or MLC NAND.

SLM?

Seeing that the SF-1500 (reassuringly) provides similar performance to the SF-1200 when paired with MLC, it would be interesting to see what an SLC equipped SF-1500 drive could do. A like for like comparison, just showing the benefits of SLC over MLC (though a lot of the advantage of enterprise drives will be the extra overprovisioning / longevity rather than extra speed).

SLM - yes, that's the new Eminem Slim Shady Memory, or SLM. :)

As to *SLC* whatever that is, the performance gain wouldn't be much. And as you say the longevity is more important to enterprise, and in some cases the supercap is the most important, even more important than speed. Anyway, we're trying to get more enterprise class SSDs in for testing, but it's harder than you might think. Those guys see less benefit from reviews than the client computing teams do.