jpiszcz

Hitachi DS7K3000 Release Date

Hi,

I e-mailed Hitachi and they got back to me:

They noted:

Thank you for contacting Hitachi Technical Support

They will be available sometime in the first half of 2011.

Thank you for contacting Hitachi Technical Support

They will be available sometime in the first half of 2011.

I believe the 7K3000s (3TB) are out now (if you search for them on Google Shopping, Span.com says in stock).

People in Asia are benchmarking them:

http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0000169209/SortID=12253722/ImageID=792380/

http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0000169209/SortID=12253722/ImageID=792391/

(I believe the 5K3000 will be available sometime in the first half of 2011.)

They're definitely hitting corporate customers in the US, but still not "generally available." I think they'll fall solidly behind the Seagate 3TB effort, but we'll see.

They're definitely hitting corporate customers in the US, but still not "generally available." I think they'll fall solidly behind the Seagate 3TB effort, but we'll see.

$249/pop currently..

2TB @ $80-$100/pc when on sale.

but 6gbps, 3TB..

hmm

229 the best price I can get so far in USA. I will buy them to replace my wd 2tb black, and also for my home nas with 6 of this in raid 5.

229 the best price I can get so far in USA. I will buy them to replace my wd 2tb black, and also for my home nas with 6 of this in raid 5.

Does that price include shipping? Another Seagate drive (a 2TB LP) just passed away after only a couple of months, although for once I was able to get my data off (yay!). I am pretty much ready to never buy another Seagate drive as long as I live. This is like my 6th Seagate in 2 years to fail on me. And all failed in nearly the same way (disappearing completely from BIOS). I wouldn't have bought this one but it only cost me like $55 so I figured it was worth one last shot. None of my Samsung or WD or Hitachi drives have given me even the slightest problem in the same time period. So for a 3TB drive I won't be considering a Seagate no matter what. Since Samsung has given up on 7200 RPM drives that leaves Hitachi or Western Digital. Looks like Hitachi has won this round, although I assume the 3TB Caviar Blacks will be faster. Hitachi won the 1TB race as well. A reliable vendor (thenerds.net) has hundreds of 3TB 7K3000s in stock. I am trying to decide between paying the early adopter price of 252.61 shipped at thenerds.net or a pair of 2TB Caviar Blacks for $280 shipped from B&H. Touch decision. I'd get the Hitachi for sure if it were more like $209 shipped and I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop to that price by boxing day, but I think I need a new drive now to replace this stupid Deathgate drive of mine.

If you read the BBB Review, they have a BBB rating of A+!!! You can't get any better than that!!!

[For comparison, my usual online supplier is Tiger Direct. They have 700 complaints with 479 resolved and 221 closed and an "A " rating.]

Cool... ask them about a nearline version too, please! :)

NP - In fact, I may start a CES thread with a list of the companies I'm meeting with to see if you guys have any other specifics you want me to dig in to.

Have you ordered from them?

Waiting 2 months for an SDHC card that they said was in stock was bogus and they wouldn't let the order be canceled.

No, I've never ordered from them, and never would have until I saw that incredible BBB review you posted giving a company an A+ rating with a grand total of two (count them, yes, 2!) BBB reported delivery issues worldwide over the last 36 months. (Actually, I'll stick with Tiger Direct. The few problems I've had have with them always been resolved 100% to my satisfaction.)

But anyways, "not let the order be canceled" you say? Was the order paid for in cash? You always have the right to refuse payment on a credit card order for non-delivery or breach of contract terms, and your payment isn't due for at least 20 days from purchase (so you can always determine if it hasn't come on time before you pay).

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, jpiszcz. There's even a possibility you're right about this (I think it's a very small possibility). But maybe it's better for you not cite an A+ BBB rating to try to advance your case against the company's business practices... or if you do, heck at least don't give the link! :)

Ok NP but did you see 60 minutes a couple weeks ago? You can pay the BBB $200-$500 and you will get an A+ within 24hr.

Be careful about badmouthing companies (now BBB, jpiszcz??? then why on earth did you quote them??? honestly, if you're willing to always be shotgunning a new "target" to appear "right" regardless of reality, it doesn't reflect well) to get yourself out of a hole.

It's best just to stop digging. Seriously.

Be careful about badmouthing companies (now BBB, jpiszcz??? then why on earth did you quote them??? honestly, if you're willing to always be shotgunning a new "target" to appear "right" regardless of reality, it doesn't reflect well) to get yourself out of a hole.

It's best just to stop digging. Seriously.

Agree,

Lowest price found so far (not in stock, but $215/pc)

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=01300000U0119_BDV5907P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

Provantage (special order item), price has been fluctuating quite a bit in the past week:

http://www.provantage.com/hitachi-0f12450~AHTCD0Y6.htm

Edited by jpiszcz

Does anyone here use 3ware 9650SE's or 9750 cards with the (existing) 2TB versions?

If so, can you comment on how well they have interacted with 3ware's controllers?

Does anyone here have 3TB yet they have tested on various RAID controllers?

shobblt.com is advertising them for a good price, but they don't actually have any in stock. There are 2000 on order for 12/28. thenerds.net actually has them but is charging one arm and one leg. The shopblt listing at least give us a good idea of what street prices will be like when everyone starts getting stock at the beginning of 2011. I just bought a pair of 2TB Caviar Blacks for $280 instead of a 7K3000. I needed more storage immediately. If I could have waited a couple of weeks I might have gone for a single 7K3000 instead. At the price blt will be selling them for it is nearly the same cost per gigabyte as the best price for the Caviar Black 2TB.

Just found out the hard way that the Intel H67 chipset (or any other) doesn't support drives larger than 2TB in RAID mode yet. :angry: Supposedly it works in AHCI mode, so I'll have to do it that way until they fix it.

Edited by DigitalFreak