Sign in to follow this  
Steve Snyder

Same model with differing selftest times?

I've got 4 1.5TB WD RE4 drives (model WD1503FYYS-02W0B0), all with the same firmware revision (01.01D01). So why then do the self-test times differ between the drives?

For the "Extended self-test" duration these times are reported:

Disk #1: 240 minutes

Disk #2: 222 minutes

Disk #3: 218 minutes

Disk #4: 223 minutes

All disks are of equal age, with equal power-on times.

What variable would make these "identical" drives require different durations for their self-tests?

Thanks.

Obviously disk 1 is the outlier, but even so, it's not *that* dramatic. What did the drives come back with? Perhaps disk 1 has more bad sectors or other things that caused it to hang up a little more? Pr perhaps your computer was busy doing other things at the same time? I don't know for sure of course, but it seems there could be many reasons why the test for that one hung. If it's really bothering you, you could try running the test again to see what you get. Maybe it was just a blip.

Disk activity? Long tests verify each sector is readable and it seems to me that the drive would have to pause the test to perform any other operations unless you did an offline test.

I should have reported the context in my original post.

The times for the extended self-test are what each drive reports (via Linux smartctl utility) prior to the actual test. So that takes concurrent access of the tables (I think).

Also, the disks are being queried and tested offline. That is, none of the disks have a mounted filesystem on any partition, so the only access of each disk should be to the overall physical drive via smartctl.

I'm not terrible worried about the disparity of self-test times, but I am a little concerned. These 4 disks are intended for use in a RAID10 configuration and I'd prefer they'd be as alike as possible. (Testing is being done as JBOD prior to assembling the array.)

Thanks for the responses.

I wouldn't worry. It's perfectly normal for the reported self-test time to vary between drives, I've got 18 identical drives that all have different self-test durations. They're rarely accurate anyway and don't tell you much. Actually doing the test and recording how long it took would be a much better source of information about the drives' performance.