smellyeagle

using an old (from 2000) scsi hdd

Hi-

I'm looking to build a Debian file/web server with a couple of WD15EARS drives in RAID1 for redundancy. I'm debating whether I should put the OS on a 10,000 RPM SCSI drive from around 2000, or if I should partition off the EARS drive and use that.

Here is the SCSI drive:

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200006/20000607DDYS-T18350_1.html

Data buffer 4 MB

Rotational speed 10,000 RPM

Latency (average) 2.99 ms

Media transfer rate 280-452 Mbits/sec

Interface transfer rate 160 MB/sec 200/400 MB/sec

Sustained data rate 21.7-36.1 MB/sec

Seek time

Average 4.9 ms

Track to track 0.5 ms

Full track 10.5 ms

The SCSI drive would hold all partitions except /home. Opinions?

Here is the SCSI drive:

Sustained data rate 21.7-36.1 MB/sec

What kind of workload? I wouldn't bother with the SCSI drive myself, more complexity, you've got to keep an old SCSI controller in the machine working,etc.. and some USB flash sticks are up around that speed, let alone a modern hard SATA hard drive.

By today's standards that SCSI drive is dead slow except when it comes to pure random access. I would guess your performance will be better if you do NOT use the SCSI drive at all. Another reason not to use it is noise issues. It is probably loud enough to be annoying if you have to spend time in same room with it. You could make the server very quiet, if you use only the WD15EARS drives (with CF card if you want) and pay attention to other components too.

Ya, I think I'll ditch the scsi in favor of a dual channel CF adapter (put in R0) and the WD15EARS. Luckily, the rest of the components are all from a quiet PC from years back. The noise from the scsi would kill it.