Sign in to follow this  
yantesh

Two different HDD's in RAID?

Hi Everyone!

I have two HDD's 1. WD Cavair Black 1TB and other I bought is 2TB WDD Green. Basically I am gonna use the green as storage disk mostly for my data(Movies and Music). So before I setup my drives I wanted to ask you guys if I should set them up in RAID 0? I dont want RAID 1. But my only concern is that I want windows and games to be on the Black. Will that be possible if I set them up in RAID?

Thanx in advance. :D

Putting the green in with the black isn't going to create the performance benefit you want from R0, and it's generally a bad idea to mix drives, forget about speeds.

I'd stick with your original plan or RAID together another CB 1TB drive if you're really wanting a little boost.

Do not put them in RAID. You could buy a second black and raid the two black drives together to increase performance. Without spending more money, your best bet is to keep them separate.

You might want to consider something like unRAID if you want to put two drives together that are not the same size. unRAID allows you to put multiple drives of varying size together. unRAID is like RAID4 but without the striping. Do a search for unRAID on Google and you should be able to find their website. I suggest reading their wiki.