Sign in to follow this  
Brian

OCZ RevoDrive X2 Announced

OCZ has launched the RevoDrive X2, the second in the PCIe SSD line. The RevoDrive X2 is highlighted by quad-SF-1200 processors, delivering 730 MB/s sequential read speeds and 120,000 IOPS.

Full Story

OCZ has launched the RevoDrive X2, the second in the PCIe SSD line. The RevoDrive X2 is highlighted by quad-SF-1200 processors, delivering 730 MB/s sequential read speeds and 120,000 IOPS.

Full Story

I thought it was announced a while ago? And it is available for purchase @retail, shouldn't the title specify "shipping"?

They need to update the product page, in one place it states avail in 480 & 960GB capacity.

I wonder how long, how few months, before these become obsolete?

Only x4 speed? Even at that seems disappointing given x4 with theoretical bandwidth of 4GB/s (pcie 2.0 spec) w/20% overhead for encoding should still be 3.2GB/s max. How much more would it cost them to do x8 speed, many MB's come with those full speed slots now?

So when the SF2000 series comes out in how many months, along with supposed PCI-e 3.0 finalized Q42010, can we expect an x4 or x8 @much higher performance Revo X3 for same $$$ in less than 1/2yr?

Edited by udaman

The title should not specify shipping, as the retailers listed on their product page are only taking pre-orders. ;)

Obsolete...that's an interesting question. Some would argue that for a much lower cost you could RAID together 4 40GB SF-1200 drives and gain superior performance. I have to be careful of the watchful eye of OCZ though and would proffer that opinion as my own.

I thought it was announced a while ago? And it is available for purchase @retail, shouldn't the title specify "shipping"?

They need to update the product page, in one place it states avail in 480 & 960GB capacity.

I wonder how long, how few months, before these become obsolete?

Only x4 speed? Even at that seems disappointing given x4 with theoretical bandwidth of 4GB/s (pcie 2.0 spec) w/20% overhead for encoding should still be 3.2GB/s max. How much more would it cost them to do x8 speed, many MB's come with those full speed slots now?

So when the SF2000 series comes out in how many months, along with supposed PCI-e 3.0 finalized Q42010, can we expect an x4 or x8 @much higher performance Revo X3 for same $$$ in less than 1/2yr?

Don't know were you get your numbers, but PCIe dose not get those kind of true-put Nr's

PCIe 2.x got a bi-directional true-put of 500MB/s per lane, that means PCIe 2.x got 250MB/s of data in and/ore 250MB/s data out, minus +/- 20% overhead.

So that would mean whit PCIe 2.x 4x ((4 x 250MB/s = 1GB/s) - 20% = 0.8GB/s) so this drive come very close to the theoretical maximum of the PCIe spec, whit its 740 MB/s.

And even do i think SSDs are the next best thing sins sliced bread for computers i am not a believer in these type of hybrid solutions.

And i will wait till real native PCIe products are coming out whit descent garbage control and not a translations from one protocol to the next:

PCIe <> PCI-X <> raid controller <> SATA <> SSD controller <> Flash mem, that's 3 steps to many for me

And as SR and Anandtech proven in the past raid dose not mouths for real word scenario's, Anand done some SSD raid test and showed marginal performance benefits, whit a ICH10 controller.

Till then i will survive whit my 120GB Vertex 2 and my 3 Vertex 1's, and i will wait for a native SandForce PCIe3 4x version ore so.

There is also big problem whit recycling these PCIe SSDs, as my mobo got 10 SATA connectors, but only one PCIe 4x slot.

Edited by player-x