alphakry

My 60TB Build Log

I figured I'd start a brief build log - so others can either learn from my experiences, give some always welcomed advice... or just drool

1.0: HARDWARE:

• CASE: Lian Li PC-343B Modular Cube Case
  • MOBO: Asus P6T7 Supercomputer
  • CPU: Intel W3570 Xeon (LGA 1333)
  • RAM: 12GB Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1866C9DF (6x2GB DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) 1.65V)
  • RAID: (1) Areca ARC-1280ML 256MB 24-Port PCI-E x8 Raid Card
  • HDDs: (30) SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400RPM 32MB Cache SATA3
  • RAID BACKPLANES: (6) iStarUSA BP-35-BLACK 3x5.25" to 5x3.5" SATA2.0 Hot-Swap Backplane Raid Cage
  • GPU: NVIDIA GTS 240 1GB PCI-E
  • POWER: Corsair 1000W HX1000
  • NIC: Intel E1G42EF Dual-Port 1GE PCI-E Server Adapter

2.0: RAID SETUP:

Array 1: 2 x 450GB 15K SAS in RAID 0 for the O/S.

The OS is not considered mission critical. It's purpose will be to facilitate the services interacting with the data - IE: FTP, network sharing protocols and media transcoding.

Raid0 was selected due to performance being the only important part of this array - data redundancy is of no concern.

Array 2: 15 x 2TB SATA in RAID 6 on Areca card # 1

This array will remain active. The current storage requirement is approximately 11TB. This array will provide room to grow till about 16.5TB. Once that capacity is reached, arrays 1 and 2 will be combined into a singular RAID6 array.

Array 3: 15 x 2TB SATA in RAID 6 on Areca card # 2

This array will be used as an extra redundancy precaution. It will mirror Array 2 to provide an additional copy of data. I have not determined the best method to achieve this but assumed a software solution such as ViseVersa may be able to streamline this function. Open to suggestions on this one

Edited by alphakry

Updates:

Oct-21-2010

1. I am currently running the Areca 1280ML - with a plan to run 24x2TB and then 6x2TB via the onboard SATA ports.

I have now changed the plan to run 2 x Areca 16-port cards. This will provide the full coverage of the 30 Hot-Swap bays as well as some additional redundancy - as explained in the Raid Setup section.

I have decided on the Areca ARC-1880ix-16 x8 SAS/SATA6.0 card as this is their latest and greatest and will provide me the opportunity to upgrade to faster drives, if needed.

2. I am considering replacing the iStarUSA BP-35-BLACK cages with the Norco SS-500 cages. These came recommended by a certain storage guru here and I may be willing to give them a try for comparison. I originally tried the StarTech SBAY5BK cages - which were the newest 3x5 drive cages when I purchased them but I haven't had 100% luck with them

3. With the help of a friend who's well versed in Linux, i am starting to research the idea of replacing the Windows Server 2008 R2 OS choice with a linux distro. It just feels like the right thing to do with such a large storage box

Results:

Oct-21-2010

So there is a lot of talk about the new Samsung HD204UI drives and how they'll perform for the RAID community. At a promotional cost of $95 per drive, I couldn't resist throwing myself into the guinea pig pool. So I will post my results thus far using these drives.

1. I have now setup my Areca 1280ML card to create a RAID6 array of 5 of these drives. It took a whopping
53 HOURS
to initialize this array. Seems like quite a long time. Anyone have comments?

I would like to run some performance tests on this array - to show how the Areca 1280ML plays with these drives - which have yet to be officially qualified by Areca.

If anyone can recommend some good HDD testing software that is used as a standard, I'll happily run tests and post results for everyone

I wish I had something constructive to add to your thread. However, I don't. Hell, I've only got 4TB of storage for my "personal" server. But with that said, I'd like to wish you luck. I'll definitely be checking on this thread, from time to time.

I guess you can add me to your "drool" pile. :)

Sounds great - tell us more about the server and what you're hoping to accomplish with it please!

Also, what case(s) are you using?

Sounds great - tell us more about the server and what you're hoping to accomplish with it please!

Also, what case(s) are you using?

• The case I'll be using is the Lian Li PC-343B Cube Case. I have updated post # 1 to include more hardware - all of which is already in my possession.
    That is not to say I wouldn't sell and replace anything if there was a better choice.
  • This server will be a stand-alone box, so one of those 9U Chenbro units, while tempting, is not quite what I'm aiming for.
  • The purpose of the server is to securely host 30-32 2TB drives. All that matters to me is data integrity and security - performance is merely a nicety (which I'm confident will be more then met considering I prefer only the higher end parts)
  • As mentioned above, the current data space requirement is around 11TB but would grow as time went on.

Edited by alphakry

So I take it staggered startup for all those drives? ;)

Surprised you are only going with a 1Gb x 2 LAN.... you could be connecting 30 slow USB thumb drives and still be able to probably saturated 10Gb.

I have 30 disks in my storage server and my requirement for it is to be easily expandable. Therefore, I have a totally different setup.

Head Unit:

Lian Li A70B (10 internal 3.5in disk bays)

Mobo: Supermicro X8ST3-F (6 SATA, 8 SAS ports onboard)

CPU: W3520

RAM: 12G Kingston ECC DDR3 1333

2*73G 15K rpm SAS mirror for OS

6*2TB Hitachi SATA connected to the rest 6 SAS ports, RAID-50

6 SSD connected to onboard SATA ports (2 Intel X25-E for write cache, 4 Corsair Nova 64G for read cache)

Additioal controller: LSI 3801E external SAS HBA

Qlogic 2462 4Gb dual-port FC HBA

Nic: 2 onboard Intel 82574, 2 dual-port Intel 82571

Disk shelf:

Supermicro 936E1 (16 SAS/SATA bays through LSI X28 SAS expander)

8*Seagate 15K.7 SAS 300G RAID-10

8*Seagate Constellation 2TB SAS RAID-50

Tier 1:

Seagate 15K.7 in RAID-10, Intel X25-E for write cache, 2 Corsair Nova 64 for read cache, for VMware Datastore and Database storage through FC,

Tier 2:

Constellation 2TB in RAID-50. Intel X25-E for write cache, 2 Corsair Nova 64 for read cache, for application data

Tier 3:

Hitachi 2TB SATA in RAID-50. No read and write cache, for user files, movie, downloads, etc.

With this setup, I can add 2 more disk shelves and daisy chain with the first disk shelf. Or I can connect to 4 SAS ports on LSI 3801E. I may replace the SAS HBA and get a new disk shelf with new 6Gb one as all my SAS disks are 6Gb.

Edited by dilidolo

I also have a small filserver which is running linux with software raid and LVM2 (more on this later.)

I did however look at opensolaris, but the problem i saw was that it was not possible to exspand an RAID-Z (z=1 (raid5), z=2 (raid6), z=n (n parity drives)). So the only way to exspand your pool was to create a whole new raid array and then add it to the pool (and then push some other stuff out of the pool. I am however in love with zfs ;) but as my setup is rather small i cant be using this exspand strategy (which big setups could be using).

So i went for an easy (and cheap) setup:

Onboard: 7xSATA-II

RAID card: Intel RAID Controller SASUC8I (bringing 8xSata-II without SAS exspanders)

Disks: 2x1TB WD Caviar GreenPower (OS – Raid1) 5x2TB WD20EADS (raid6)

All my raid is linux software raid, after a few corrupt controllers from Adaptec, 3ware and Promise, I desided I needed to be “hardware independent”, so the only reason I used my raid card is to get all those nice cheap SATA-Ports.

Storage: From the ground up, I have created a partition on each 2tb drive using the whole disk. I now build my RAID 6 on these partitions (linux software raid cant take raw disks, it only works on partitions. It has its ups/downs). I use this partition as a PE device on LVM and in LVM I create a disk, which ive placed EXT4 on, and mounted.

I can now exspand my already created raid volumes, and I can add raid volumes to LVM and remove other opsoleded raidsets (2tb is not mutch in 3 years ;)

With 5disk raid 6 using WD20EADS im getting ~160MB/s writespeed, and higher READ. So 1gbit network is not a problem for me.

A Thing with LVM that might interest you…. Lets say you make your 2x15disk raid6 in linux software raid. You now have 2 sets which you add to your LVM, you now make your Logical Volume in LVM, and tells LVM that you would like to make sure that LVM places data on 2 different PE devices… (RAID1 in LVM). Now you have your failover  I do however not know if you can convert from raid1 LV to nonraid LV (when you need more than 15 disk raid 6 can give you. But some google might help you there.

//Jan Chu

Hi, i' m very interested with your project as i plan to build the same type of setup.

Don' t know what type of card to buy (1280ML, 1880ix ?)

I think of a single 24*3TB RAID6 with 6*EX36B LianLi, but a little afraid of the limited room between card and hdd racks, here are some pics found on the web:

add0c5b402efe1e908a6dec5e635e.jpg39b1521b79a0581ec80102921487c.jpg

05a199b24857eaa3e3de71cd86dee.jpg

ea6a54055dd61189aab1d71cf8dcf.jpg

(last one is a ARC-1170)

Perhaps i should use other hdd backplane, but i don' t want them to be noisy (too many have 40/80mm and the LianLi racks comes with 120mm fans), any advices ?