Sign in to follow this  
HaRdDrIvE_fReAk

Accessing REALLY old hard drives. (>20MB) Legacy external HD adapt

Everybody knows you can take out a semi-modern hard drive and access it through an external SATA/IDE to USB adaptor. My question is concerning old 20 - 120MB IDE hard drives, you know, the ones you had to manually enter the CHS values into the BIOS. Is there an adaptor out on the market that can currenty utilize those? The current enclosures/adaptors I have now won't cut it. They recognize the drive, but I cannot access or partition these drives within Windows.

Two things I do NOT want to do:

1.) Use an old 486/Pentium computer for accessing these drives. I'm trying to keep down the amount of computers in my house.

2.) Scrap these drives. I know their of no use to anyone else, but I have a few ideas for them.

I know it's a long shot, but I figured I would try. Thanks for your help!

One thing to verify -- are you sure these are IDE drives and not the really old MFM/RLL style drives?

Assuming they are IDE drives - what happens when you just plug it into an IDE cable and look into the bios settings?

Out of curiosity i tried to connect WD 95044-A (40 MB, type 17 with stepper) to my core 2 duo system (Asus P5K, P35/ICH9), but sadly without luck.

I tried connecting it to motherboard sata port with Abit serillel ide-sata adapter and then a noname "two-way" supporting adapter. With serillel adapter the HD was simply not recognized and the modern AMI bios did not have the option to manually enter drive type. With the other adapter the system hung up when trying to detect the drive. Also a Highpoint HPT366 based udma66-supporting ide controller wasn't able to detect it (and didn't let me enter controller setup since it didn't detect anything). The drive did make some startup noises though, so hopefully it is still in working condition. As if I really cared :P

One thing to verify -- are you sure these are IDE drives and not the really old MFM/RLL style drives?

Assuming they are IDE drives - what happens when you just plug it into an IDE cable and look into the bios settings?

Yes, I am sure that they're not MFM drives, they are IDE. I guess I'm just SOL. Thanks.

I've had success in accessing some really old IDE drives in a firewire enclosure with an Oxford 911 chipset. It's hit or miss though.