theman2

where are the 3 TB internal drives?

I see that there is one 3 TB external drive out there and a second one has been announced but isn't yet available to buy.

I know that there are issues with booting to the drives and certain bioses and certain OS limitations on partition sizes. But I'm sure an updated computer with updated software is capable of using the large driver.

I am wondering why we haven't seen any 3 TB internal drives released yet. Isn't there demand out there, especially around the $200 price point where 3 TB external drives are?

Are they coming soon or should I figure out a different way to expand my storage system?

Give it a little more time. I'd say more but you know...I can't ;)

You won't have to wait much longer though if you want 3TB internal.

3TB boot drive... I take it you're running EFI then? Which motherboard (or motherboards) have you tried? Just curious, since EFI experience is still pretty limited. :)

hope it isn't too much longer, i've been in need of a 3tb boot drive for a good six months now.

I don't understand the need for a 3tb boot drive unless your computer system is very limited in terms of expandability. Go for something small and fast for your primary drive and put your data on another drive that does have your OS, apps, games, and swap file and performance will be much better.

I think the initial point was more about 3TB drives being available internally, and secondarily as a boot drive. But the general point is that he wanted more storage in a single drive.

I think the initial point was more about 3TB drives being available internally, and secondarily as a boot drive. But the general point is that he wanted more storage in a single drive.

That is my need too. I've current got a 10 TB raid 5 array (6 2 TB disks) and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to expand without the expansion taking up a lot of space or becoming expensive. Higher capacity drives will make large storage arrays feasible without requiring complicated setups.

I'm looking forward to see the larger drive offerings. Hopefully I can avoid running out of space until they arrive!

i'm running a 2008 mac pro with 7tb right now. the boot drive is mainly for itunes. i keep all my data on a separate drive. (my itunes library is about 1.8tb right now)

why do you use a garbage piece of software like itunes to organize 1.8TB of music?! even on a macpro, itunes is still horrible compared to windows alternatives, namely foobar2000.

why do you use a garbage piece of software like itunes to organize 1.8TB of music?! even on a macpro, itunes is still horrible compared to windows alternatives, namely foobar2000.

And this is relevant to storagereview or 3TB drives because?

It's relevant, just not to this thread ;)

Someone could definitely start a new thread in general computing to discuss music management software. For the record, iTunes is such a dog... :)

It's relevant, just not to this thread ;)

Someone could definitely start a new thread in general computing to discuss music management software. For the record, iTunes is such a dog... :)

Yeah... you say that now but have you tried running it on a 3 TB internal hard drive that is your primary drive? ;-)

I'm looking forward to Tuesday. I can't wait to get my hands on some 3 TB internal drives so that I can finally do some expanding.

itunes is the only software that can provide seamless access to every room and tv throughout my entire house and i've had no problems, speed or otherwise with it.

and i am very much looking forward to tuesday!

Edited by fizzwinkus

Seagate was afraid to do what WD did I'd guess, include an HBA so the drive works for non Mac users. It's a high-risk play, because if people run into the same problems we did, they'll probably be cursing WD here and elsewhere :)

Seagate was afraid to do what WD did I'd guess, include an HBA so the drive works for non Mac users. It's a high-risk play, because if people run into the same problems we did, they'll probably be cursing WD here and elsewhere :)

HBA looks like a real deal killer to me. If I understand your review on the new drive, the drive only works with the HBA adapter. That seems like a major limitation. I don't want to have to use some adapter card to access the drive in 3 years when operating systems, motherboards, etc have caught up with the drive sizes...