FaultedState

Partitioning

I normally partition my drives to have my operating system and executable programs on the main partition. Then I put all my data, documents, etc. on the second partition. On an SSD, will I see a difference in wear doing things this way rather than keeping everything on one partition?

I normally partition my drives to have my operating system and executable programs on the main partition. Then I put all my data, documents, etc. on the second partition. On an SSD, will I see a difference in wear doing things this way rather than keeping everything on one partition?

Hello FaultedState, using two partitions on the same SSD will not prevent the wear and tear of the SSD. It will only provide more safety to your data in case the OS fails and you need to reinstall it.

Is it alright to format one partition with (for example) Fat32 and the main partition as NTFS? Will this create problems on the type of files being saved or files transferred between the partitions?

Is it alright to format one partition with (for example) Fat32 and the main partition as NTFS? Will this create problems on the type of files being saved or files transferred between the partitions?

If the OS that you are using, supports both types then you wont have any problem.

For instance you can have 3 partitions, the first to be FAT32 for Windows 98, the second FAT32 for common storage and the third to be NTFS for Windows 7. Both OSes support FAT32 but Windows 98 doesn't natively support NTFS. This way you can use the second partition to transfer files between those two OSs.

StamatisX, thank you for your response.

I didn't think that it was possible to dual-boot with Windows 98 and Windows 7. That would be a huge contrast! I've partitioned one of my HDs with Windows and Linux before, though.

Your welcome FaultedState

BTW why do you need FAT32?

@Brian, imagine if instead of Win 98 mentioned Windows Me? HAHAHAHA

Edited by StamatisX

I have only made one partition on my SSD as I don't really think I need than that. However, there seems to be a lot of debate on the net about the benefits of having at least three. I also read that the one with your OS should be defragged once a week. Do you agree with that?

Your welcome FaultedState

BTW why do you need FAT32?

@Brian, imagine if instead of Win 98 mentioned Windows Me? HAHAHAHA

I had to laugh at that, too. I've had so many adventures with Windows Me. I actually forgot about them until now. :) I wonder if anyone still uses that.

@Zinger - why would you need at least three partitions?

What I can remember with ME is that it loads forever. Windows 98 is even better than ME in my opinion.

If I'm not mistaken, we can't transfer large files from NTFS to Fat32 so I guess it is better to make the format of the other partitions in NTFS as well.