Guest Phil

'all Notebooks With Intel Hm55 And Pm55 Chipset Show Capped Ssd Pe

Guest Phil

According to benchmarks run by several members on Notebookreview.com it seems that laptops with Intel HM55 and PM55 can not take full advantage of fast SSDs. These chipsets are very common in modern notebooks. The performance hit is especially visible in 4K random read and write performance.

For example: A OCZ Vertex 2 should get about 20MB/sec 4K random read and 60MB/sec 4K random write.

On Intel HM55 the Vertex 2 gets about 12-14 MB/sec 4K random read and 22 MB/sec 4K random write.

Similar hits were observed with Intel G2 and Crucial C300.

I scanned through the list there, really interesting stuff. These are advanced users so I'm sure they've tried everything, but do you know what configs/drivers they're running to get these benchmarks? Again, I'm assuming what they've posted are the max results. And the Intel SSDs work fine...uh oh.

According to benchmarks run by several members on Notebookreview.com it seems that laptops with Intel HM55 and PM55 can not take full advantage of fast SSDs. These chipsets are very common in modern notebooks. The performance hit is especially visible in 4K random read and write performance.

For example: A OCZ Vertex 2 should get about 20MB/sec 4K random read and 60MB/sec 4K random write.

On Intel HM55 the Vertex 2 gets about 12-14 MB/sec 4K random read and 22 MB/sec 4K random write.

Similar hits were observed with Intel G2 and Crucial C300.

I read the thread up to current page 8...seems consensus is that it's a power saving mode with that laptop chipset (not other Intel laptop chipsets)...with one notable dissenting poster :P saying the results are not valid data :D.

FYI Apple hasn't used BIOS since they went Intel CPU's. It's all EFI, but would assume there are similar power saving modes implemented given Apple's trend to try to maximize battery life on their laptops.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6117822_macbook-efi.html

^seems it's possible to hack the EFI software, as Paystar did to get OS X running on standard PC systems.

Must be some way that the 55 series chipset is implementing power saving mode that is causing the slow downs with the SSD's. So it would seem a firmware fix should be in order from Intel the could easily correct this issue?

Guest Phil

It seems all fast SSDs are affected (Sandforce, Intel, C300, etc).

The problem disappears when the CPU is stressed for 100%, for example by running Super PI.

By the looks of X bench results, Apple Macbook Pros are not affected by it.

@ Brian, most users have the Intel RST drivers running.

Interesting read. I got to page 8 and they seemed to find some resolution to this problem but I will have to give it another go later as my eyes are suffering from all the stats! If Macs are exempt that gives their fan base another good reason to boast :). I need to go back and get an update on this as I have plenty of friends who will be happy to argue the Mac corner.

Guest Phil

Somehow I can't get through to NBR now but user 'tilleroftheearth' posted a 30 MB/sec 4K random read in CrystalDiskMark3.0.

I've never seen any SATA II drive post a score that high. He achieved the score by first running SSD Tweaker 1.4 auto tweak and Intel Burn during CDM.

Edit: I found out he changed some CDM setting that inflated the scores.

I see the thread has doubled in size - are there any new revelations?

*Sorry for being too lazy to read through it, but I know you have Phil ;)

Guest Phil

Well the only fix has to do with disabling C states. It restores SSDs performance fully at the expense of a lot of heat and loss of battery life. Not really a solution for notebooks.

Tilleroftheearth posted some real life benchmarks of the improvement after disabling C states:

"Launch PS CS5: 5 seconds (previously, up to 20 seconds!)

Update MSE and do a quick scan: 98 seconds (120,000 items scanned) (previously 3 or 4 minutes and occasionally up to 7-8 minutes!)."

Everybody wants to see a fix from Intel soon. Many people have contacted Intel directly. Several wesbites and forums have been contacted. We're trying to get as much attention as possible for it.

Brian, if you'd like to make a news story, please do. I'm sure it will get more attention if you publish about it.

Guest Phil

I've been doing more real world testing. Good news: the tweak does make a difference. Not for heavy multi tasking, not for file copying (in my setup) but it matters for installing programs. It matters a lot.

Installing CS4 without tweak 9:30 min. With tweak: 4:30 min.

Installing Office 2007 without tweak: 8:32 min. With tweak 5:18 min.

I'm impressed.

There's a full article now: http://www.storagereview.com/how_improve_low_ssd_performance_intel_series_5_chipset_environments

I've been doing more real world testing. Good news: the tweak does make a difference. Not for heavy multi tasking, not for file copying (in my setup) but it matters for installing programs. It matters a lot.

Installing CS4 without tweak 9:30 min. With tweak: 4:30 min.

Installing Office 2007 without tweak: 8:32 min. With tweak 5:18 min.

I'm impressed.

There's a full article now: http://www.storagere...et_environments

The time difference is noticeable, for the CS4 the time was cut in half!