Brian

10 Second Windows 7 Boot

6 members have voted

1. 1. How fast does your SSD-based system boot?

• 10 seconds or less
    • 11-20 seconds
    • 21-30 seconds
    • 30 seconds or more

Team sent us this press release today, though it's nearly barren of detail. But the claim is a 10 second boot time into Windows 7. No details on the machine or whether or not they crippled Win 7 to boot more quickly.

This lead me to wonder though, what people are seeing in the real world in terms of boot time. Please post your SSD and system details with OS and boot time.

Team cooperated with world-leading SSD controller manufacturer SandForce in order to bring consumers the ultimate experience of SSD. Team Xtreem S1 is equipped with the latest SandForce SSD controller along with high-speed NAND Flash chips, it is the flagship SSD from Team and takes only 10 seconds to start Windows 7, thus displaying the unrivaled SSD R&D capacity of Team.

Team sent us this press release today, though it's nearly barren of detail. But the claim is a 10 second boot time into Windows 7. No details on the machine or whether or not they crippled Win 7 to boot more quickly.

This lead me to wonder though, what people are seeing in the real world in terms of boot time. Please post your SSD and system details with OS and boot time.

Its not really clearly defined what the rules are here..

After bios splash screen, my machine boots in somewhere between 8.5 and 9 seconds to login in windows.

This is a Core I-7 875K with 4 gigs of ram, and a 2nd gen Intel X25-M disk

If Splashscreen and expressgate from bios needs to be counted with.. i would say my time is probably 20... but then.. what about people with a motherboard that checks memory before boot ;-)

Ive even included a video, recorded from press of button to windows login.

Edited by Darking

You bring up a good point, and my main problem with the Team release...I had assumed from power button press to Windows sign in screen - under 10 seconds. But if it's from Bios - that's a different ballgame. I think boot time should be counted from the time you press the power button, but I could be talked out of that position I suppose.

Have you consider using the program Boot Timer? Personally, I have had much better results with my Acer 1810T with the new i7 I built. I am down to 8 seconds or so with the program but it is after post. the problem for the most part with powerful systems is getting everything recognized, up and running I think. Ive tried everything and cannot get my site system under 9 seconds on Boot Timer even with the SATA3 drive. In the laptop...7.34. We have been playing this game for almost 2 years on the other site...

There are also alot of variables in the start times... I use this as a bit of a tool with new drives and do the installation and then shut down the Startup and System files in order to get as pure of a test as possible...no software interference. Yes it may be cheating but it gives me a clear and accurate indication just how fast each different drive can boot given the exact same set of variables.

EDIT.... Ok we are going to have a laugh over this and I am sending them to NBR for a minute brian. I laugh my butt off every time I watch this but someone kept doubting the system could do it. Enjoy the video at this thread! eheheh LMAO!

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/459125-post-your-windows-7-boot-time-tweaks-allowed-32.html#post6504728

post-69613-1282866697475_thumb.png

Edited by LesT

"Boot Time" should be the time between when you press the power button and your windows desktop is USEABLE. Not just displaying your wallpaper... but useable where you can launch apps and such. So this means all your services are started, all startup apps have finished and windows is ready to go.

But considering the practicaility of measurng stuff -- There should really be 2 different measurements.

Time from power on to when your windows login is displayed.

Time from "enter" or 'Ok' on windows login to a USEABLE desktop.

I have to agree that the boot time of a computer should be measured from the time we press the power button until it becomes usable. This is though where the problem lies, the word "usable" is very relevant and differs greatly from person to person even on the same hardware.

What we have to do first is to define the word "usable" in a way that it is widely accepted and then proceed with the actual method of measurement.

On the following video you can see that it takes less than 10 seconds to POST and enter Windows. Is it usable? In a way yes it is, but not for the majority of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbt6KQrr_2M

Edited by StamatisX

I find the time from pressing the power button to being able to actually use the PC slows the more programs I download (of course), so have to agree that defining 'usable'is important. Meanwhile here is another video comparing and contrasting speeds.

P.S. I like the red keyboard in the previous vid!

Edited by Zinger