DetlevCM

Planning on a Home Server (HP) - the drives...

OK, I really hope to finally get a home server - I am still in Poland, but no emergency has yet drained a few hundred € away - so it looks good.

I'm planning on an HP X510 - idiot proof, so ideal for me (if anybody says I should build my own - go and stand in a corner - I never built a desktop, I'm a laptop user - I want it foolproof on this)

The question is now - which drive:

My 2 main candidates are a Seagate or a Western Digital.

I don't give a damn - to put it this drastically - about speed - I want a reasonably priced drive at 2TB - most likely I'll also have to live on g Wi-Fi because I can't take a network cable from downstairs upstairs to my laptop... but I'll live either way.

So, my choices so far are:

1) Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS - 2TB 5400rpm 64MB 3.5zoll SATA300

http://www.cyberport.de/pc-hardware/festplatten-nas/intern-3-5-zoll-sata/bis-2-0-tb/3404-198/western-digital-caviar-green-wd20ears-2tb-5400rpm-64mb-3-5zoll-sata300.html

My worry is that because its an EARS drive I'll run into issues on WHS - and from what I saw earlier WD does not supply jumpers to use with the drive...

2) Seagate ST32000542AS Barracuda LP 5900.12 - 2TB 5900rpm 32MB 3.5zoll SATA300

http://www.cyberport.de/pc-hardware/festplatten-nas/intern-3-5-zoll-sata/bis-2-0-tb/3406-203/seagate-st32000542as-barracuda-lp-5900-12-2tb-5900rpm-32mb-3-5zoll-sata300.html

Don't know anything about it really... - except that it used to be in stock before I left for Poland... (I was actually set on this one because of the 4K sectors in the EARS drive that I have no clue how to handle)

Other's listed

3) Samsung EcoGreen F3 HD203WI - 2TB 5400rpm 32MB 3.5zoll SATA300

http://www.cyberport.de/pc-hardware/festplatten-nas/intern-3-5-zoll-sata/bis-2-0-tb/3410-161/samsung-ecogreen-f3-hd203wi-2tb-5400rpm-32mb-3-5zoll-sata300.html

I'm also set on ordering from Cyberport as there are other things I also need.

So what are your opinions? Suggestions? (On that note... I had 2 Samsung drives die on me in my old laptop - pre Vaio...)

And hopefully I get to order them :) (about 1 to 1,5 more weeks...)

Your WHS machine will have to support 4K sectors for the EARS to be a good choice. If it doesn't, performance may be severely compromised. We saw this in our Synology unit until Synology issued a patch that got us to where we expected to be.

Before we hit the drive question though, are you sure WHS is what you want? The Synology, QNAP and other units are more flexible and not hard to use. An example -

http://www.storagereview.com/synology_diskstation_ds410j_review

Your WHS machine will have to support 4K sectors for the EARS to be a good choice. If it doesn't, performance may be severely compromised. We saw this in our Synology unit until Synology issued a patch that got us to where we expected to be.

Before we hit the drive question though, are you sure WHS is what you want? The Synology, QNAP and other units are more flexible and not hard to use. An example -

http://www.storagereview.com/synology_diskstation_ds410j_review

Yes, a home server is what I want - after talking to Dave :D - also because I can hook up some of my old external HDDs via USB :D - I could use a Home Server as print server if I wanted... I can have it online for "external feeding", host a website on it - besides - I'm very familiar with Windows which helps - and I have a person to ask for very specific stuff.

With EARS - WHS is based on Server 2003 if I am not mistaken and doesn't natively support it - people have gotten the alignment tool to work, or used jumpers - whcih works - but I wonder, is it worth the hassle? I can add a "screw kit" that will also contain jumpers to my order for about 5€ or 10€ - so I suppose I could do that...

(Why in the WHS forum if its really more a "which HDD question?")

Edited by DetlevCM

Because it's a home server question ;)

And the Synology is still a home server, it's very similar to the WHS, just better :)

But if you're stuck on WHS, then I'd avoid the EARS if there's even a question about compatibility or performance. We haven't tested the config here, so I can't say based on experience.

Anyway, for your use, I'd go with the lowest power consumer in idle, as they'll all perform similarly in the real world. Based on our testing, that's the LP. See the power chart at the end of this review.

http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_spinpoint_ecogreen_f3_review_hd203wi

You could say I'm slightly biased towards the linux home servers (Synology, DIY, etc) the first and only time I tried WHS I vividly remember the multiple reboots just to get it going. Once it was going.... HUGE number of updates. Synology and others you generally load on the newest firmware from the start, meaning no updates needed "out of the box". Interface is webpage and super simple as far as that goes ;)

Because it's a home server question ;)

And the Synology is still a home server, it's very similar to the WHS, just better :)

But if you're stuck on WHS, then I'd avoid the EARS if there's even a question about compatibility or performance. We haven't tested the config here, so I can't say based on experience.

Anyway, for your use, I'd go with the lowest power consumer in idle, as they'll all perform similarly in the real world. Based on our testing, that's the LP. See the power chart at the end of this review.

http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_spinpoint_ecogreen_f3_review_hd203wi

I should have phrased it as a pure "storage drive question".

Thanks for the link :)

From power consumption the Seagate looks best except at startup and 4K constant access - which wouldn't happen often - as it'll be mainly storage.

Looks like a Seagate then - hmm, means I'll be waiting a while after ordering - unless they get more stock.

You could say I'm slightly biased towards the linux home servers (Synology, DIY, etc) the first and only time I tried WHS I vividly remember the multiple reboots just to get it going. Once it was going.... HUGE number of updates. Synology and others you generally load on the newest firmware from the start, meaning no updates needed "out of the box". Interface is webpage and super simple as far as that goes ;)

So synology is Linux - well, that means I need to get my head around Linux - yes, once you know how it works it's great - but I'm not a programmer - and Windows is really easy to use, and as I said originally, I have someone I can query with any issue.

So synology is Linux - well, that means I need to get my head around Linux - yes, once you know how it works it's great - but I'm not a programmer - and Windows is really easy to use, and as I said originally, I have someone I can query with any issue.

No, it's not like that, it has an interface that's just as easy as WHS, but much more powerful and flexible. More reliable too, the firmware is across all drives, where in WHS it's on only one.

No, it's not like that, it has an interface that's just as easy as WHS, but much more powerful and flexible. More reliable too, the firmware is across all drives, where in WHS it's on only one.

Is it more powerful than a home server?

You can run a website from it, feed it from the internet, backup your windows based laptop to it - run a printer from it.

And the last thing - the CPU in the Synology is rubbish :D the HP has a 2,5GHz Dual Core - not a measly Atom.

I'm really a Windows fan and prefer it.

Doesn't mean Linux is bad - but its just not for me.

PS: One add-on - the HP also has a 3 year warranty.

Edited by DetlevCM

Just that model has an Atom, which is all you need for what you want to do. And it can do everything you listed.

Hey, do what you want, just telling you there are better and more powerful options out there, that's all. WHS is very nice for someone who just wants something that's easy to manage.

Just that model has an Atom, which is all you need for what you want to do. And it can do everything you listed.

Hey, do what you want, just telling you there are better and more powerful options out there, that's all. WHS is very nice for someone who just wants something that's easy to manage.

There is always something better - even better would be some industrial storage server - the question is - how easy should it be, how much do you want to spend.

HomeServers aren't too pricy (what kind of lunatic buys a Drobo? They cost more and do less) - and easy to set up.

Sure, you can build your own, use a NAS, use some other Linux based system - but in my case a HomeServer is the path I'll go.

I was considering a NAS earlier - QNAP in fact - but they are pricier and more limited - and as I said I know someone who can help if I ever have an issue.

And as you said - it's nice for someone who "just want's something that's easy to manage" - and that is exactly what I need :)

Edited by DetlevCM

Let us know how it all turns out for you when the gear shows up!

I will, but its still some time to go.

First getting to Germany (20th) - then I'll have to order (to an address in the UK) and head for the UK on the 26th.

UK :) Home Server has been ordered, together with 3 2TB Seagate drives (and a Philips deep frier :D)

Will take a little bit until I get it though... and still need to pay (wil be done on Monday)

I don't know if I'm more interested in the WHS or the deep fryer. I've been thinking about getting one of those for ages...

I don't know if I'm more interested in the WHS or the deep fryer. I've been thinking about getting one of those for ages...

Hehe :D

They are useful, we (my mother and me - yes I live at home :)) had one that broke about 1 year ago... lived well without one too.

But it crrept up again and well, there we go.

Makes me wish that time now passes quickly :)

Edit:

The deep fryer is due to arrive with the seller on the 9th of September - won't be sent off before that... a long wait.

Edit again:

My order has dispatched - now travelling through Europe :D - 31st Aug - 21:40PM CET, 20:40GMT - let's see when it gets here - and that will deserve a new post :)

Edited by DetlevCM

It arrived!!!

Finally :) It already got a hug :D (while off) - now setting it up - I'll post my impressions a bit later - most likely today :)

I'm so happy to see the lovely little HP :)

I'd say it's quite cute :)

They are smaller than they look online aren't they?

Indeed, even though they post the dimensions and clear images and I know how large 3,5" drives are - still it seems tiny - well, I don't mind :)

It's really adorable.

The one thing that isn't... besides that I only have b/g wi-fi at home... downstairs on Lan our router only supports 100MBit/s... and out Belkin is theoretically a warranty case... ah well, I'll live :)

Ok, I told Brian I'd write some quick impressions - well, here they are:

HP x510 Home Server Impressions:

A quick few impressions of the HP x510 – 1TB (3 empty slots) & 3 2TB Seagate drives.

Finally I got my home server – the above mentioned HP x510 – it does look lovely online, it seems lovely when you hear about it – and when you get it, it is even lovelier.

Quite small it does have some weight in it – most likely the power supply and is mainly bottom heavy – the piano black is quite beautiful but very susceptible to fingerprints – my guess is to scratches too.

It has been mentioned in other places that the drive trays are flimsy.

First of all removing them is easy – no flimsyness here.

However, when you place the drives into them you get the instruction to “flex right rail” – what? It’s not as bad as its sounds – but there are surely better ways of solving the drive fitting issue.

While I do not see a danger in a few drive swaps I have a feeling that regularly changing drives in the trays would lead to one breaking sooner or later.

Placing the drives back into the server there is again no flimsyness and they fit nicely in my model.

After that – well, the optics as mentioned before are beautiful – the metal (not sure if solid or just a thin layer) faceplate is nice too, as is the lighting – it is quite a shame that you cannot see the Ethernet port as it’s lit up too.

Overall to me it seems like a lovely little well made product.

After that all that counts is the Home Server OS – which I am still getting used too.

Add-ins are available at http://www.wegotserved.com/ and can be of interest to users.

Would I recommend it – yes, definitely.

But everybody has to decide for him/herself if they are willing to spend the premium for a better component – the E5200 CPU that the X510 offers over its rivals Atom.

I have the EX490 that I got a few months ago. Since the main objective was to back up multiple computers in my house (and some that I use for work), the HP certainly is a bit overkill in the feature department, but I figured that I'd use the other features at some point and at the time, I just wanted to get something that would work without much hassle (no build/config time). I did order an additional WD 1TB Caviar Green for "balancing" the storage - as I'm paranoid about data loss.

I agree on the looks of the machine - you can't get much better. It's small, so can be as inobtrusive as you want, but it also looks good, so you can put it out in public.

Functionality wise, I really haven't stretched its capabilities too much since, as I mentioned earlier, it is mainly for backups. However, I have played around a bit with media storage and streaming and so far everything has been solid. I have run into some issues with some machines not authenticating correctly with the home server, but the issues are hit and miss.