Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Intel's SSD Roadmap Leaked Through Q1 2011

Intel's SSD roadmap through Q1 of 2011 has been leaked and it includes everything Intel SSD fans have been hoping for, and more. The X25-M G3 is confirmed through this document to come in 160GB, 300GB and 600GB capacities, with their new 25nm MLC NAND flash due out Q4 this year. The rest of the line is getting a refresh too, and a new small form factor SSD debuts.

Full Story

Nice to have this confirmed - sign me up for 2 X X25-M 3G 160 Gb drives for Win 7 and Programs.

I'll kepp my 2 'old' slow degenerated X-25-M 2G 80 GB drives for my data and Win 7 pagefile :)

Really nice news - I think we can expect some serious damage to the new Sandfors controller drives, I guess the Read speed of the 3G X-25 M will be 325 Mb/s and the write speed at least 250 Mb/s, and far better I/O numbers......so these drives will rock my Lian Li self build PC NO DOUBT ABOUT IT :D

The other interesting bit is we've been tipped off that the price point on the 160GB X25-M G3 is being targeted at $400. I'm not sure how true this is, but if it is true, that's pretty amazing, undercutting the current line of SF-1200 drives of the same capacity. A lot can change in the next four months though.

Intel's SSD roadmap through Q1 of 2011 has been leaked and it includes everything Intel SSD fans have been hoping for, and more. The X25-M G3 is confirmed through this document to come in 160GB, 300GB and 600GB capacities, with their new 25nm MLC NAND flash due out Q4 this year. The rest of the line is getting a refresh too, and a new small form factor SSD debuts.

Full Story

Nice "rumor", but no facts from Intel. 600GB is announced by Intel/Micron to ship when :D ? ...can U say 'vaporware'?

I would be an Intel fan, except for the fact the G2 gen did poorly on the 'seasoning' stress test in the thread I linked to already. And until SR implements a comparable 'seasoning' duty-cycle stress test, and shows that the SF Corsair SSD's match OWC's SF SSD's I'd say the OWC's are the really 'creme de la creme'. Unless there is a new controller, or better firmware in the G3, I find nothing compelling about them that would make me want to purchase one over the OWC offerings, except for possible specific capacities. SATA 6Gbs is likewise "assumed", not proven.

4 months is indeed a long time, assuming a shipping product is actually shipping on time, lol.

A speculated $400 price point for the 160GB G3 Intel, would be greatly disappointing. With then 25nm process, I would have hoped for a 50% reduction in pricing :(, added speed a bonus...so far, we haven't 'confirmed' either points.

OWC 120 & 240GB SSD's are currently priced @ $320 & $630 respectively. Even assuming arguendo the G3 Intel firmware can match the SF controller OWC's SSD performance in 'seasoning', other than different capacity points, I see *nothing* compelling in reading these rumors.

Now we have the 'committed' Toshiba/Samsung 2nd gen 'Toggle' tech SSD's coming down the pike...when? If they come close to their potential, we'll see a paradigm shift in both speed & capacity < 'vaporware' at present.

More interesting news last week was the 'announcemnt' by Seagate of collaboration with Samsung on enterprise class performance SSD controller tech, that may prove quite interesting:

Seagate And Samsung Announce Agreement To Jointly Develop Controller Technology For Enterprise SSDs

Can imagine in a year or less? Seagate Cheetah 1TB SSD's to replace venerable 15k HDD series, with blazing fast speeds using new Intel :P Light Peak I/O interface---you know, because the new SATA Gbs standard will be a bottleneck for these. MLC 2nd gen Toggle tech Samsung Nand's inside?

Well, the Sandforce 2000 chip will give the G3 a beating.

G3:

Sequential Read: 250MB/s

Sequential Write:170MB/s

read IOPS: 50K

write IOPS:40K

Security: AES-128

Sandforce 2000:

Sequential Read: 500MB/s

Sequential Write:500MB/s

read IOPS: 60K

write IOPS:60K

Security: AES-256

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3971/sandforce-announces-nextgen-ssd-controller-sf2000-capable-of-500mbs-and-60k-iops