Tacoboy

Weird 2MB partiton

I'm trying to use an Samsung HD753LJ as a primary boot drive in my second computer.

This hard drive has always had some "weird" 2mb partition that I can not figure out how to delete?

In Disk management (both Win 7 and XP) is shows up as last partition at the end of the drive.

I had Win 7 (in disk management) delete and reformat (100GB/600GB) the drive and still this little 2mb partition shows up.

Not sure if this is some software that Samsung puts on the drive or it's from some third party software that I had used in the past

( 3 years ago) to originally setup the drive?

I'm trying to use an Samsung HD753LJ as a primary boot drive in my second computer.

This hard drive has always had some "weird" 2mb partition that I can not figure out how to delete?

In Disk management (both Win 7 and XP) is shows up as last partition at the end of the drive.

I had Win 7 (in disk management) delete and reformat (100GB/600GB) the drive and still this little 2mb partition shows up.

Not sure if this is some software that Samsung puts on the drive or it's from some third party software that I had used in the past

( 3 years ago) to originally setup the drive?

If am not mistaken it has to do with partition of the file system file; It's basically space that does not fit 'cleanly' into the partition table- when the space available does not evenly divide itself into parts the file system can understand, there is left-over, unused space. It's like the remainder in a long division problem.

case in point. I have a fresh 500GB drive, it show that I can extend using the full 476938MB but when i go to use format the drive it is 476930, 8MB less then the original drive.

You are probably using a tool that shows the remainder of space.

Edited by Mkruer

If am not mistaken it has to do with partition of the file system file; It's basically space that does not fit 'cleanly' into the partition table- when the space available does not evenly divide itself into parts the file system can understand, there is left-over, unused space. It's like the remainder in a long division problem.

case in point. I have a fresh 500GB drive, it show that I can extend using the full 476938MB but when i go to use format the drive it is 476930, 8MB less then the original drive.

I think you solved the problem, I believe I had originally partitioned with 4000k clusters instead of 512k clusters.

Trying to get better performance using 4000k clusters.

Wrong. He is using XP disk management as he's said. XP disk management shows free space as free space, not as an extra partition. Free space <8 meg is not shown at all.

The parts that a filesystem "understands" are sectors. A file system can fill up and use each and every sector on the drive. The "left-over" has nothing to do with what a filesystem understands. The 8MB left over is what Windows reserves either out of legacy CHS addressing compatibility or for future conversion to dynamic disks. You could easily use the full 476938MB if you knew what you were doing.

Edited by qasdfdsaq

Wrong. He is using XP disk management as he's said. XP disk management shows free space as free space, not as an extra partition. Free space <8 meg is not shown at all.

The parts that a filesystem "understands" are sectors. A file system can fill up and use each and every sector on the drive. The "left-over" has nothing to do with what a filesystem understands. The 8MB left over is what Windows reserves either out of legacy CHS addressing compatibility or for future conversion to dynamic disks. You could easily use the full 476938MB if you knew what you were doing.

I changed the partitions for 4000k to 512k, still get the 2mb leftover, I'll live with it.

Given that I have no idea what the problem actually is - seeing as you've failed to provide a screenshot *and* everything you've described makes no sense whatsoever - I can't really say how to solve this. This all reeks of "user has no idea what they're talking about" or "user is messing about with things way over their heads" and frankly anything I do suggest would be dangerous for you to try because of the above.

However, that said if you're ignorant enough to try this, diskpart clean will solve your issue (or at least what I understand to be your issue).

Start

diskpart <ctrl+shift enter>

list disk <enter>

select disk X <enter> (where X is the number of the disk you're having problems with)

clean <enter>