flashyprince

Decreasing Transfer Rates

This is weird. im running WIN XP on a 2006 P4 3.0Ghz , with 1GB of Ram. Very often i need to periodically back up my data. Ive been experiencing something very frustrating lately. ive noticed that my USB transfer speed for external drives as well as my internal disk to internal disk transfer rate (ex. internal D drive to internal E drive) is not always constant. after a fresh format + fresh install of Win XP, it seems to be around the 35 MB/s speed for small files...and a little faster for bigger files like videos...which is perfectly acceptable to me. but after a while after a fresh format + install of my C drive, say a few months, ive noticed that my internal sata transfer speed is stuck at around 3MB/s.. which is painfully slow. also, my usb speed can be stuck at 1MB/s.. with USB, sometimes i need to try many different random strategies like using a different USB port..or booting my computer..or trying later in the week...sometimes my USB speed magically boosts up to 20 MB/s ...but many times, it just stays stuck between 1 and 3 MB/s. i thought my aging C drive was causing the poor speed of transfer between my internal D to internal E drive, and so i bought a new C drive....but the problem persists.. after a few month after a new formatting of C:, my speed decreases to 3MB/s. and my USB speed remain inconsistent.

What is causing this? is it some piece of hardware? like the SATA controller, which i know nothing about other than having heard its name...

PLz Help!

The drives im referring to;

C: drive, OS, 80GB SATA Maxtor

D: drive 2TB western digital

E: drive 160 GB Seagate.

external drives, bunch of 500GB Lacie.

That sounds pretty much like a drive fragmentation problem. The fragmentation degree of a drive increases over time, you can't escape that as you can't escape gravity. Try defragmenting your drives at least once a month. I do it every two weeks. Don't bother using Windows' defrag utility, is garbage. I'm using Perfect Disk, but there are lots of other well performing defrag utilitites. Don't defrag any USB Pen drive or SSD drive. They don't need to be defragmented. Only HDD drives need to.

dont think thats the problem... you mean i need to defragment my D and E drives to get my speed back?

but when i install Win XP over again, without touching my D and E drives, the speed increases back to its normal level....

i dont really see defragmenting as the source of my problem.

Ok, then let's go deeper. Did you notice by any chance if the mouse pointer is moving different form usual (like jumpy) during the low transfer rate?

no, during a slow transfer rate, the mouse pointer is working fine...and the rest of my computer behaves normally. it doesnt feel heavy or heavier than when i transfer fast.

i really have no clue whats causing this.

do you have another computer you can try your USB drive on?

check to see if the transfer rate is what you expect it to be?

if its like you expect, then its something with your PC itself. If the transfer rate is stuck at 1-3MB, then the problem is with your external HD

Has it reverted to PIO mode instead of one of the Ultra DMA transfer modes? This isn't often an issue with SATA drives, but it's a possibility. Check out your drives in device manager.

Tried swapping SATA cables? Switching ports?

Any AV/security software running? Check it's not running a scan. Do you have some sort of enhanced search tool like Windows desktop search or Google desktop running? Is it possible that your system is getting infected with something?

Are you using the latest BIOS & motherboard drivers?

It might be enlightening to check the transfer rates between a RAM drive and the individual hard disk drives, to see which drives are affected.

Does this happen even if you boot in safe mode? That should rule out most problems caused by 3rd party software running on your system.

i tried swapping SATA cables and Switching ports. When im copying files, im not running any scans or any software for that matter. i dont use any special desktop search software. i dont think my motherboard or BIOS drivers are the issue here. ill investigate the RAM drive and the Write Cache...but right now i dont know what they are. thx for the help...

P.S. my problem really happens magically. i dont change any options anywhere in my software or hardware or in my WinXP control panel. its just that after a certain time

after a fresh OS install, im bound to have my transfer rate magically decrease without me changing any settings of any kind. it just happens. every time.

plz, more ideas if you have any B)

Edited by flashyprince