pwyll

So I bought the new 3TB GoFlex Desk...

Been a while since I've been around but thought I'd chime in a little. It is interesting that this drive is identified as a 4K sector drive on one set of tools yet a 512 byte sector drive on another.

Any chance you have a utility to display the identify device data in word order? Word 106 decimal if set to 0x4000 would indicate a drive which explicitly indicates 512 byte physical and logical sectors. I wonder if some tools out there are misinterpreting the data returned and calling a 512 byte sector drive a 4k byte sector one. Oh if word 106 is 0x0000 then the drive doesn't support sector size reporting which also means 512 byte sectors.

Free

Been a while since I've been around but thought I'd chime in a little. It is interesting that this drive is identified as a 4K sector drive on one set of tools yet a 512 byte sector drive on another.

Any chance you have a utility to display the identify device data in word order? Word 106 decimal if set to 0x4000 would indicate a drive which explicitly indicates 512 byte physical and logical sectors. I wonder if some tools out there are misinterpreting the data returned and calling a 512 byte sector drive a 4k byte sector one. Oh if word 106 is 0x0000 then the drive doesn't support sector size reporting which also means 512 byte sectors.

Free

The base Drive uses 512 Byte Sectors at it's SATA Interface. Word 106 is Zero so it does not use 4KB Sectors Internally.

The USB Bridge translates between 512 Byte Sectors and 4KB Sectors for Drives above 2TiB. The Go-Flex USB Bridge reports a Different PID and does not translate when connected to a Drive smaller than 2TiB.

I have developed tools to Partition and Format these Drives, with or without the USB Interface.

I also have Patches that allow Booting DOS and Windows 98SE from the bare Drive and to use the USB Interface from Windows 98SE.

More information is available on my website rloew1.no-ip.com