stryker412

Which drive to buy in my NAS?

I'm looking at buying a NAS along with three 2TB RE4 drives. Would I be ok running the RE4-GP drives in a NAS in RAID 5? There's a $30 difference between the standard RE4 and the RE4-GP.

I wish I could use black drives but from what I read, they are not good to use in a RAID array.

What's the NAS going to be used for...and what other hardware is involved? The RE4 is a darn good enterprise-grade drive that performs very well, but depending on what you want to do, it might be overkill.

What's the NAS going to be used for...and what other hardware is involved? The RE4 is a darn good enterprise-grade drive that performs very well, but depending on what you want to do, it might be overkill.

I'm going to have it for movies/picture/music storage. It will also be streaming content to a Popcorn Hour I have in the other room. Other than that, that's it. I would go with a lower model but that's the only RE they have in a 2TB config.

What hardware are you putting them in? Something self-made or something like a 4-bay QNAP or Synology NAS?

What hardware are you putting them in? Something self-made or something like a 4-bay QNAP or Synology NAS?

Going with a Synology DS410, but if I can somehow swing it (doubtful) might go with the DS411+.

We have the 411+ in the office right now for testing.

Okay, so with that hardware and your intended purpose, I think the RE's are overkill. I'd probably go with Seagate LPs for the power savings or whatever might be on sale in the green line - WD Caviar Green or Sammy F3EG will work too.

Also, I'm going to move this over to the home servers forum since that's the direction we're going...

We have the 411+ in the office right now for testing.

Okay, so with that hardware and your intended purpose, I think the RE's are overkill. I'd probably go with Seagate LPs for the power savings or whatever might be on sale in the green line - WD Caviar Green or Sammy F3EG will work too.

Also, I'm going to move this over to the home servers forum since that's the direction we're going...

I'm confused, everything I've read (and even WD has stated) not to use Green drives in a RAID array due to their variable speed. Also, I only buy WD since I've had nothing but issues with Seagates in the past. All the WD I've had have been rock solid.

I think the standard Caviar Greens would be a very good option. Right now they are usually the cheapest 2TB drive sold, low power, low noise, and good reliability. Most of the RAID concerns you read about deal with hardware RAID configurations. Platforms like the Synology and others use software RAID, which is for the most part compatible with anything you can throw at it.

Almost any drive (or array of drives) will be able to saturate a gigabit connection inside a consumer NAS. At that point buy a drive on brand preference or consumer reliability reviews and you should be set.

While it's not exactly the same scenario, I put a 1TB Caviar Green into the HP MediaSmart Server that I have and it's been solid. Works just fine for streaming media. Also, I have the drive set up to mirror the drive that came with the system.

I was going to buy Caviar Black drives but then I read something about the TLER setting not being optimal for RAID. In that if you call for data on the HDD (in RAID it takes longer to access) and the PC thinks the array has crashed due to not responding in a set time. Is this not true?

The distinction is really about software vs hardware RAID. In this case though, the higher power drives aren't going to benefit you much - I really think the greens are the way to go.

Thanks for all this info Brian, I believe you have saved me a lot of money. Even though I could get the Green drive, I think I'm going to buy the Black. The only note on Synology's site about using the drive is that it should be used in environments under 86F which my house never gets that hot.

Those Synology units have two fans that do a pretty good job for an always on unit. Be sure to post back when you get configured!

I'm confused, everything I've read (and even WD has stated) not to use Green drives in a RAID array due to their variable speed.
No, you don't want to use the regular desktop drives due to their firmware, which is decidedly not optimized for RAID. And some other issues, but firmware is the main one a user coming from desktop space would be concerned with.

However enough people don't seem to mind rolling the dice and trying regular desktop drives, so, hell, go for it if you want to. I don't personally recommend it, especially in any sort of RAID (and ESPECIALLY in anything more demanding than RAID1 or RAID0), but hell, it's your money. :)

continuum,

Love your reply!

I deal so much with people who lose data, cry to me, want me to miraculously get it back.

THEN..

They ask me what to buy for a replacement unit, I recommend something rock solid, they start whining about the price, then go buy something cheaper.

(When they come back for help the next time, I don't bother)

Regards

Hitachi NAS Platform is one of the pre-effective NAS (Network Attached Storage). It is powered by BlueArc. It is a powerful tool for sharing files and file server consolidation, data protection. This NAS to provide maximum efficiency and customer satisfaction.

translation companies

Edited by cherylfoster

Hitachi NAS Platform is one of the pre-effective NAS (Network Attached Storage). It is powered by BlueArc. It is a powerful tool for sharing files and file server consolidation, data protection. This NAS to provide maximum efficiency and customer satisfaction.

HNAS for home? LOL