Sign in to follow this  
alicefred

How to change main drive from C to D?

Hello friends..

I have a Sony Vaio PCV RS530G desktop computer which has 160 GB hard drive. My computer is only few months old, I got it from Sony Style through a discount deal. I have limited computer knowledge, so I need your help. My computer has two partitions C: total size 13.9 GB free space 199 MB and drive D: total size 129 GB free space 121 GB. Just wondering is it possible to change main drive from C to D? BTW I have been using Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3.

I appreciate any assistance you experts can provide.

Why do you want to do that? Is it because of disk space shortage on C: ? Then I would advise you to resize the drives. Shrink D: and enlarge C:. There are utilities which can do that for you, like Acronis Disk Director or Paragon Parition Manager (both of them not freeware), or Ranish Partition Manager/NTFS Resize (these being freeware, but I never used them,). If you Google for NTFS partition resizing software, you'll get a lot of hits. On tip here: when shrinking the D: drive, make sure you reduce it from its beginning, not from its end, so you make room for a bigger drive C:.

Switching the system drive from C: to D: involves extensive registry hacking and since you yourself said you have limited computer knowledge, messing with the registry to such an extent would be disastrous.