tmchow

How to optimizing for Adobe Lightroom performance

I have an existing Dell Studio XPS 9000 that I bought late last year specifically to be a lightroom and photo editing PC. In reality it's not performing as good as I wanted it to, so looking for help in optimizing it. My apps start relatively fast enough, it's just the performance within Lightroom that is giving me grief. Going image to image, and editing is taking too long -- there are slight hangs everywhere, and I expect it (and want it to be) far, far faster.

Here is my current setup:

• Intel Core i7 920
  • 8GB RAM
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • Nvidia Geforce GT 220
  • 640GB 7200rpm primary C: drive (OS + Apps, currently my Lightroom scratch disk)
  • 1TB Seagate 7200rpm secondary D: drive(Seeding a ton of linux distro torrents)
  • 1TB WD MyBook External 7200rpm drive connected by eSATA (Documents, Music, Photos, Videos -- basically all personal data)

I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve this in a relatively cost effective way. I want to keep my upgrade under $500 if possible.

I already just increased my cache size in Lightroom to 5GB (from 1GB) and moved it to my secondary drive (D:). That noticeably improved things, but I want more :)

I don't want to bother upgrading the primary C: drive to SSD since (a) it's still expensive, and (B) app loading is fast enough for me right now.

The only thing I can think of is switching my 1TB WD eSATA external drive to a drive that is in RAID0, like the Lacie 2Big 2TB Quadra (which supports both RAID0 and RAID1).

Will this actually speed things up for me? Any other suggestions?

What model drive is that 640?

Also, what's your typical file size? Wondering if you'd see benefit from the XT hybrid.

Set Lightroom to auto-generate full-sized previews and a large enough cache/cache expiration date to keep the ones you currently need, that'll help significantly.

Since that goes on your scratch disk and cache, the next step beyond that is to upgrade to an SSD. I noticed a significant speedup keeping everything else the same but going from a 15K SAS disk to an X25-M G2. App loading isn't the only benefit of the SSD, loading LR previews will be significantly smoother.

I already just increased my cache size in Lightroom to 5GB (from 1GB) and moved it to my secondary drive (D:). That noticeably improved things, but I want more :)

Gilles Theophile, from the french site utiliser-lightroom, and LR beta tester recommends to set as much Cache as possible for LR.

Also, check: http://macperformanceguide.com/Optimizing-Lightroom.html but Lloyd seems to encounter more problems than the average user.

http://lightroomers.com/boosting-lightroom-performance/748/ has very good advice too. Be wary of other articles telling you to disable the automatically write metadata in XMP, as the slowness in that case was mostly for older versions of Lightroom, and puts you in risk of losing metadata when moving files without a preliminary CTRL+S.

http://www.jmg-galleries.com/blog/2008/08/12/4-quick-ways-to-boost-lightroom-2-performance/ goes in the same direction.

Edited by sPECtre