blafarm

3.5 Drive Housing Adapters -- for 2.5 SSD

Quick Question:

I have a large, multi-drive SATA RAID enclosure that uses 3.5 drive trays for hot swapping drives. I'd like start benchmarking the performance of 2.5 SSD SATA drives in this enclosure.

So, I'm looking for "adapters" that will allow a 2.5 SSD SATA drive to be mounted in a mock 3.5 housing -- with the requirement that the 2.5's SATA connector is in alignment with the position of where a 3.5 drive's SATA connector would be.

The goal is to be able to install these mock 3.5 housings (populated with 2.5 SSDs) into my drive trays so that they can be used in my RAID enclosure.

Has anyone run across this type of product?

Thanks

Which unit is it? I've seen some that sell multi-purpose trays for both 2.5" and 3.5" drives. I assume your current problem is that you can't just add expansion rails to the trays you have, because it offsets the SATA connection.

If such an adapter exists, it'd need to use a daughterboard of some sort to offset the connector locations. Form factor for SATA doesn't leave enough room on one side to allow a bracket w/o some sort of offset daughterboard. The bracket that comes with the retail version of the Velociraptor drive is an example of one. If the 2.5" SSD conforms to standard 2.5" form factor, it should work.

i had a similar issue with an external enclosure. however, just mounting the 2.5" drive to the 3.5" tray with the provided holes did the trick. as the 2.5" and the 3.5" drives have identically placed SATA/power connectors in respect to which side of the drive they are placed on, i dont think this was some masterful feet of intuitive engineering on behalf of my particular enclosure.

my recommendation would be to just see if there are wholes in the bottom of your trays. if so, that is all you need. haring that, make your own wholes.

Thanks everyone for your replies and good suggestions.

One of my challenges was that my RAID trays -- are actually "trayless" -- meaning they are quick mount shuttles that snap into the threaded side holes on either side of a 3.5 drive.

However, I think I might have just found the solution at OCZ:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid_state_drives/ocz_solid_state_drive_3_5-adaptor_bracket_2

Well...looks like I spoke too soon.

The NewEgg reviews of the product seems to indicate that the bracket does not provide standard 3.5 drive mounting holes.

Therefore, it won't work with my hot swap tool-less drive bays on my RAID enclosure.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by blafarm