Anyhow, I am shopping for a new 1TB HDD for my system. Specs if you like:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

ASUS M2N32 Sli-Deluxe Wireless edition

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (AM2)

Maxtor 200GB Sata 1.5 HDD

4GB (4x1GB) Kingston DDR2 PC6400 RAM

Nvidia EVGA GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128 bit

Antec TruePower Quattro 850 PSU

As you can see, my current HDD is pretty old, slow, and low in capacity.

I am looking at 1TB drives, mainly the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284&Tpk=WD1001FALS) and the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433&Tpk=ST31000528AS)

I have a close friend who swears by Seagate and says WD is junk, but a ton of online sources say WD is great and Seagate drives are notorious for failure.

I picked up a Hitachi DeskStar 1TB earlier today and returned it same day due to LOUD clicking and high pitched noises, so that HDD is out of the question.

Anybody here care shed some light on my predicament?

Thanks!

-Matt

Well, Seagate are realy bad, from my experience. They have a high rate of failure. And this is a conclusion I reached over a few years of working in an IT store. Seagate HDDs are, by far, at top of the list with the drives returned for warranty while WDs are way down that list. The cherry on top of this cacke is that just yesterday a friend of mine bought a 1TB Barracuda ST31000528AS (yes, exactly your model) which, when installed at home in his machine, just didn't start. Brand new piece.

So, my strong advice is to go for a Caviar Black.

Well, Seagate are realy bad, from my experience. They have a high rate of failure. And this is a conclusion I reached over a few years of working in an IT store. Seagate HDDs are, by far, at top of the list with the drives returned for warranty while WDs are way down that list. The cherry on top of this cacke is that just yesterday a friend of mine bought a 1TB Barracuda ST31000528AS (yes, exactly your model) which, when installed at home in his machine, just didn't start. Brand new piece.

So, my strong advice is to go for a Caviar Black.

Thanks for the input!

I am also gonna ask the store where I am getting the drive (they are a repair shop too) which drives they see most for repairs.

EDIT: Can't go to the store today, but tomorrow I plan on picking up a WD Caviar Black 1TB. If it doesn't work out, they have a 40 day return policy :)

EDIT 2: Got the Caviar Black, doing all sorts of tests with WD lifeguard diagnostics and Victoria.

Edited by Matt08642

Thanks for the input!

I am also gonna ask the store where I am getting the drive (they are a repair shop too) which drives they see most for repairs.

EDIT: Can't go to the store today, but tomorrow I plan on picking up a WD Caviar Black 1TB. If it doesn't work out, they have a 40 day return policy :)

EDIT 2: Got the Caviar Black, doing all sorts of tests with WD lifeguard diagnostics and Victoria.

Installed Windows 7 on the new drive, everything's good. Thanks for the help :)

Edited by Matt08642