Fel

Recommended Backup Software

Hi,

I am looking for an excellent (good or ok doesn't cut it) home backup software. In the past I have used (not for myself) Retrospect, BackupExec, and NTBackup.

I am fine if you tell me that NTBackup is the way to go or if you tell me I am nuts. Please make any recommendations you have on the best way to approach this. I have been out of the backup game for a long time and never really had a need for home backup before. Now that I do, I would love some advice on the best way to go.

I have: 2 desktops, 2 Laptops

desktops: 2 x WinXP SP3

Laptop 1: WinXP SP3

Laptop 2: Vista Ultimate (not sure atm on the SP)

I am not backing up any MSSQL Server or Exchange info (though as it is a home system you would probably thought that already)

In total there is about 400gb of data that would need to be backed up. The majority of it is stagnant so I wanted to do an initial full backup of each machine and then weekly differentials. Does that sound reasonable?

Also is it worth backing up system state?

I have a 1TB External drive connected to the network that I would like to use as the backup media.

System state is worth grabbing. As I understand it, it refers to the bits of the system that are essential to the running of the OS, all the basic stuff like registry, files used to boot into windows, and things like DNS, DHCP, AD and any other services running on the machine. On some of our servers, we only back up the system state.

I don't use backup software at home I (just zip up what I need with 7-zip and copy it to a TrueCrypt - encrypted location on a USB stick every now and again), so I can't recommend a favourite, but there are plenty of decent options out there, some of which are free. Your approach seems reasonable. Try NTBackup and see if it does what you need.

I've been evaluating CrashPlan, Acronis True Image Home, and a few others.. of the purely free ones, Crash Plan's free version seems to be pretty decent. That said I'm not terribly enthusiastic about it either...

Why pay for backup softwares. WDC and Seagate at least offer free Acronis for their HDDs. In fact, I prefer the Acronis WD edition over the full paid version, simply because it lacks that secure zone, and boot loader option. In 2 out of 2 instances, these extras messed up my system. The free one (downloadable from WDC and Seagate sites) do not do that, and are pure backup and restore solutions, with added facility of cloning, etc.

I know this is an old thread.

I've used Acronis and the like in the past, but I simply don't care for backups which wrap my data in their proprietary wrapper/format. I simply want my backup software to compare my files and perform the appropriate backup, duplication, or augmentation of my source and/or target location. I like to be able to easily navigate into my backups and check them out.

Recently I discovered ViceVersa from My link, and have loved everything about it, even though I haven't even gotten into any of the automated capabilities.

I don't know whether it is appropriate for system backup, but for file comparison and backup it is outstanding. You can, of course, test it for free, and the Pro version is about 60 bucks, the standard version being about half that.

Hi,

I am looking for an excellent (good or ok doesn't cut it) home backup software. In the past I have used (not for myself) Retrospect, BackupExec, and NTBackup.

I am fine if you tell me that NTBackup is the way to go or if you tell me I am nuts. Please make any recommendations you have on the best way to approach this. I have been out of the backup game for a long time and never really had a need for home backup before. Now that I do, I would love some advice on the best way to go.

I am not backing up any MSSQL Server or Exchange info (though as it is a home system you would probably thought that already)

In total there is about 400gb of data that would need to be backed up. The majority of it is stagnant so I wanted to do an initial full backup of each machine and then weekly differentials. Does that sound reasonable?

I have a 1TB External drive connected to the network that I would like to use as the backup media.

hi:

There is a lot of backup software, just google "backup software". I have googled and found a lot of people recommended a backup software - easeus todo backup. May be you can have a try.

Hi,