Higgy831

Hitachi 7K2000 IDLE NOISE?!?!

Hi Guys,

my english isn´t the best but i need help and in some other boards the people can´t help me with my problem :(

My Hardware:

Intel i5 650

ASUS P7Q57-M DO

4GB DDR3 1333 Ram

1 WD 500 GB HDD (System HDD Windows Server 2008 R2 + Apps)

5 x 2TB Hitachi HDD´s

I have noise Problems with all of the Hitachi HDD´s!

The HDD´s are new (1 week old) and make this noise right at the start :/

When i boot the system the Hitachi´s are speeding up an then starting with this "Write/Read" noise!

At the First time i started the system with the components that noise wasn´t there!!!

And 1 of these Hitachi HDD´s suddenly stopped with that noise (i haven´t done something...)!

When i boot the system with all hdd´s pluged in, everythings works fine (but the noise still there...), i can copy data on all thes harddrives...

hdd31r8.jpg

Example:

http://www.xup.in/dl,11779149/Memo_(2).amr.MP3/

little bit quiet but you can hear that stupid noise!!!

Some ideas?

greetings

Higgy

The way I figure it, that noise is caused by some kind of diagnostic, but since you say at the beginning the noise was not present, the diagnostic clearly does not belogon to the drives themselves. My guess is that the diagnostic is performed by the BIOS or the OS.

I would do the following two tests:

1. If the drives are in RAID, take one out from RAID and see if the noise is still there.

2. If no RAID or the noise is still present after removal from RAID, also try the drive on another machine with a different OS.

Edited by Katy

I have a Hitachi hard drive too, 7k1000.c, 1TB. I also hear that noise unfortunately, it's like the drive was seeking when it's in idle. I was talking about this on other forums, where other users have experienced the same noise, and have found no solution to it. :(

I've even written an e-mail to Hitachi, but they just told some general answer, as if there was something wrong with my hard drive. Clearly, it is not a problem, since many people have experienced the same and all of the driver are working just fine.

I wish Hitachi would tell us the reason for that noise. :(

Maybe storagereview could ask them so that they'd write a normal reply? :)

Edited by AceTom

I also just got this hard drive and the blank drive idling with the SATA cable disconnected and I can hear the drive 4' away repeattedly going through what sounds like a seek operation. I can feel the drive doing something internally. I found a post elsewhere that Hitachi warranties start on date of manufacture and they will not extend the warranty if one provides a receipt showing the actual purchase date. In my case this would mean I have lost 10 months of warranty by just buying this hard drive. If indeed that is the case I will return this to the online reseller and take Hitachi off my list of hard drives to buy or recommend.

My VelociRaptor does a very similar thing...it'll be sitting idle and suddenly emit seek sounds like crazy. Even if it's NOT hooked up to a SATA port.

The drive works perfectly fine like yours do so I'm going to go with some sort of internal test.

My VelociRaptor does a very similar thing...it'll be sitting idle and suddenly emit seek sounds like crazy. Even if it's NOT hooked up to a SATA port.

The drive works perfectly fine like yours do so I'm going to go with some sort of internal test.

I did a short and extended test on the drive and it past. It also was quieter when doing the test than when it was idle! I tried Spinrite maintenance test on it and was told that it would take 120 hr to test the drive. I have done 1TB hard drives before w Spinrite and there is no way they took 5 days to test.

I did a short and extended test on the drive and it past. It also was quieter when doing the test than when it was idle! I tried Spinrite maintenance test on it and was told that it would take 120 hr to test the drive. I have done 1TB hard drives before w Spinrite and there is no way they took 5 days to test.

UPDATE

I phoned Hitachi support and talked to Patrick and they will change the start period to date of purchase if one provides an invoice.

Regarding this drive I could RMA back to Hitachi but therer is no guarantee that after a 3 week wait, that I will not wind up with a replacement drive that does the same thing. The noise coming from the drive is not a consistent noise but changes pitch as if the read arm is moving. Think I will RMA it back to DirectCanada and absorb a possible 15% restocking fee as a lesson to buy hard drives locally.

Edited by pcguy999

The noise is normal, as the drive changes temperature it will recalbrate and make that rattling noise. It should stop for a while after the temperature stabilizes. Even stable they will make the noise occasionally. Hitachi drives have done this since the 7k250 but the noise used to sound like an animal crying.

I have 6 of these 7k2000's an a raid 5 array and when they first become idle the whole array makes that noise for a little while.

The fix for the older drives was a firmware release that disabled the thermal recalibration, but I would rather have the noise and accuracy than a quiet drive that potentially has to do retries or has failures.

I wonder if you change the AAM to quiet if that would quiet the rattle noise as well?