Sign in to follow this  
udaman

EU to fine Samsung & 8 memory chip makers

Not sure how accurate the story is/will be, as they/Reuters have already made a major correction, initially saying Micron would be fined, but now saying Micron(Intel) was the whistle blower to the cartel, and will receive immunity, lol

EU set to fine Samsung Elec, Hynix, others-sources

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE64G1M020100517

"A decision on fines is expected on Wednesday," one of the sources said.

They said the total fine may be up to 300 million euros ($381 million) and could have been higher without the settlement procedure. This will be the first decision under the European Commission's new settlement procedure introduced in July 2008 in which companies admit taking part in a cartel in return for a 10 percent cut in fines.

EU to fine Samsung, others over flash memory price fixing

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/05/17/eu.may.make.firms.take.plea.to.avoid.huge.fines/

Similar complaints had been launched in Korea and the US but were eventually dismissed as the agencies hadn't found evidence of the claims. A confession by Micron and the rest of the group would potentially challenge those verdicts.

Odd that both the Korean home market investigators, and US, home of Intel (Micron); failed to find such price fixing collusion :)

^"I'm shocked! Shocked to see gambling going on in this establishment...your winnings sir"

A fine and a change in policies could both have a significant impact on flash memory pricing and consequently the prices of the devices that use them. Prices have fallen regularly on flash memory in the past several years, but price fixing would imply that the costs could have fallen lower. Apple is usually considered the single largest user of flash memory and depends on it in not just the iPhone, iPad and iPod but also the solid-state drives in MacBooks and certain Xserves.

Edited by udaman

MrSpadge' date='18 May 2010 - 01:44 PM' timestamp='1274215498' post='261797']

So is it about DRAM prices (Reuter) or flash (electronista)?

MrS

electronista quote NYTimes article, which quoted the Reuters article...and so on :D

Turns out shoddy reporting by Reuters...thought there was a bit of credibility problem with the 1st correction.

All about a DRAM cartel that operated way back in 1998-2002? And only now, it's finally come to a conclusion< if they had that crack investigative team working on the 9/11 report...it wouldn't have been finished for another decade, lol? Still something not quite right in all of that, imho.

Now what about possible newer investigations into flash mem. price fixing...will it take another 8 years...only *after* a whistle blower comes forward!?!?

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE64I20420100519

a cartel of DRAM (dynamic random access memory) chip makers that operated from July 1998 to June 2002...Micron Technology (MU.O) received immunity and no fine for blowing the whistle on the cartel in 2002
"By acknowledging their participation in a cartel the companies have allowed the Commission to bring this long-running investigation to a close and to free up resources to investigate other suspected cartels," Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said in a statement.

South Korea's antitrust agency last year ended an investigation of the flash memory industry, saying there was no evidence of a price-fixing cartel. Samsung and Toshiba have said U.S. authorities also ended investigations last August.

i see a dramatic drop in SSD prices over the next few months.

the WD SiliconEdge 64GB (SSC-D0064SC-2100) debuted 2 months ago at $270 and is now at $170?

128GB SSD's touching the lower cusps of $200?

average 64GB SSD's being had for less then $150?

i bet we will see my target of $1 a gig by the end of the year.

Wishful thinking pico. Those drives are getting cheaper because they're not all that good. The better drives have no chance of touching $1/GB this year or probably next for that matter. Just not enough NAND supply.

well... its always been my argument that the low end drives SHOULD be much cheaper then they are... but for whatever reason they never were/are... but it looks like that is changing.

please allow me to continue my rant..

there is about a $58 spreed between a 64GB Kingston SNV425 ($138 and arguably the slowest SSD on the planet) and the the 80GB Intel X25-M SSDSA2M080G2 ($195 and arguable the fastest drive in its category).

furthermore, there is a plethora of "performance" (OCZ Vortex for example) SSD's at 50-64GB in the $180 range.

$1 a gig may be to ambitious, but i would not be surprised in the least to see low end drives around $1.50 a gig and $2 a gig for performance drives by the end of the year.

hell, the Kingston SNV425-S2/128GB was $237 for nearly a month. it has been my experience sale prices are soon-to-be actual prices. albeit the SNV425 is a complete POS, none the less it was around $1.81 a gig. it seems extremely feasible to think the slandered price for a low end SSD's will be $1.50 a gig by the end of the year.

We're about to publish a review of the 425, and yes, it's a dog. We've had it for months, and finally need to get it off the test bench. But I'd argue that even a cheap slow SSD isn't a very good option. There are platter drives that I'd rather have...or save up for a better SSD. There's not much room in the market for slow SSDs, regardless of price.