Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Seagate Confirms 3TB Drives

Seagate has confirmed it will be introducing a 3TB hard drive later this year. The move to over 2TB capacities will showcase some limitations with legacy programming code in many PCs, which prevents them from addressing over 2.1TB of storage.

Full Story

I know the manufacturers want to get over the 2TB hump, but there are a ton of problems. Even the advanced format drives we've used, both from WD, have issues. Well, I guess not the drives so much as the devices they're in. Some see the drives okay, some don't...and when they don't, it's not like the drive fails to be recognized, it's just slow as molasses, which is actually worse than not being seen at all.

I know the manufacturers want to get over the 2TB hump, but there are a ton of problems. Even the advanced format drives we've used, both from WD, have issues. Well, I guess not the drives so much as the devices they're in. Some see the drives okay, some don't...and when they don't, it's not like the drive fails to be recognized, it's just slow as molasses, which is actually worse than not being seen at all.

Are you talking about issues with external enclosures, software, or issues with motherboard/addon-card controllers?

I'm really disappointed by the lack of 3tb drives on the market. The 2tb green drives have been hitting the $100-120 price range which, to me, means there should be a higher capacity drive out there for ~ $200.

I just mean that at the consumer level - there are problems with how AF is implemented. You need to run the latest Intel Array drivers, you sometimes need to run the align tool and sometimes the drives just perform like crap in systems that aren't supporting 4K well.