Sign in to follow this  
Kevin OBrien

Loving my new home server speeds

Just put together a new system last night and I think the performance is doing pretty well ;). The OS is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server with the CrystalDiskMark test run off a single slave drive. Not really sure why the read speeds are lower that write but I am looking into it.

post-47697-12739749251014_thumb.png

I will probably end up using this rig as my home NAS for an upcoming theater project. Storage should be in the 10TB range when all is said and done.

Anymore specs or anything for us to go on here? Software RAID, Hardware RAID, SSD? Anything?

Always good to share, but give us some specs and how you configured things, so others can learn from it also. :)

Your speeds are a bit on the slow side I would say. A single disk should easily do 100MB/sec read and write at the beginning of the disk (Generation of 1TB disks or larger). So there might be something wrong, or there might not be. No clue....

Something with Samba is slowing it down since network utilization on the read side is ~60% where on the write side it is up near 100%. Might be an overhead issue as well that I am working with.

The system was an older setup I have laying around except for the hard drive. Single ext4 partitioned slave drive (2TB Western Digital Black) connected to an Intel DG965WH motherboard with an ICH8R chipset. 1GB of RAM, 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo e6300 pocessor. Was using the standard LVM manager in Ubuntu for the drive setup. If anyone can give some tips to improve read speeds I am all for it.

Currently this is how my smb.conf file is setup with tweaks:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072

The rest of the information is share locations and usernames.

Another fun fact is Intel e1000 based NIC's really don't like random 4k performance tests. :lol: 50% of the tests I ran resulted in the network card on the server locking for 30 seconds and killing my SSH session from another computer. For now I think sequential transfers (what you would see in the real world for a NAS) is what I will be staying with.

Figured I would update this post with my finished results. Figured I would keep all my data in one space and finally gain some parity for important files. Stole drives out of my desktop to add to what I already had and presto! RAID City

Currently I have two arrays: 1TB RAID1 and a 2TB RAID1. Using MDADM for software RAID and have a small notebook drive for boot and scratch space. Spent the better part of last weekend cleaning off my three systems at home, deleting duplicate files and removing hardware no longer needed.This is the view from my notebook...

post-47697-12766586308254_thumb.png

As you can see I have plenty of breathing room for now. One added benefit of all of this is I no longer need more than one drive in my desktop. I have a quad core system that sits at an idle power rate of 84w :)

Future plans are moving to something bigger which probably means a RAID5 or RAID6 array loaded with 2TB drives, but for now this is working beautifully.