Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Patriot Inferno SSDs Launched

SandForce SF-1200 processor powered SSDs are hatching everywhere of late. Patriot is the most recent to get in the game, launching the Inferno series of SSDs. Available in 100GB and 200GB capacities, the Patriot Inferno offers up 285MB/s read and 275MB/s write speeds, inline with other SF-1200 based SSDs.

Full Story

SandForce SF-1200 processor powered SSDs are hatching everywhere of late. Patriot is the most recent to get in the game, launching the Inferno series of SSDs. Available in 100GB and 200GB capacities, the Patriot Inferno offers up 285MB/s read and 275MB/s write speeds, inline with other SF-1200 based SSDs.

Full Story

In theory they should all be identical :P

Does anyone know where Patriot SSD's are made? Their other mem products don't have that good a rep, from what I've read over the years.

You can get the equivalent 'Enterprise' ready/5yr warranty 400GB OWC drive in 9days, all lesser capacity available *now*. Capacity determined by the SF-1200 controller over-provisioning, ie 28%

see this fairly detailed review of the OWC 100GB SSD. Note that for better 'enterprise' compatibility, probably should get a SF-1500 SSD as explained in the review page on firmware & controller issues:

http://macperformanceguide.com/Reviews-SSD-OWC-Mercury_Extreme-Firmware.html

Maybe SR can get some samples of the 400 & 480GB SSD's from OWC to review ?

Note thatRAID-0 striping was not used here, just individual drives.

Two weeks ago I bought two OWC 100GB Mercury Extreme SSDs to use in my desktop computer. I benchmarked them with your Photoshop actions. Asus X58 motherboard with Intel i7 920, 12 GB RAM at 1066 mhz running Windows Vista 64 bit and Photoshop CS4.

First I used 2 WD Black Caviar 500 GB drives (one with Windows + pagefile, the other with the Photoshop scratch). After that I swapped the hard drives for two OWC SSD 100GB drives (one with Windows + pagefile, the other with the Photoshop scratch) CS4-32bit.

Pretty impressive, except that when you compare it to a similar Apple system. The Windows environment brings a large overhead burden, luckily we have Photoshop 64 bits to compensate a bit. I also have 2 PCI Express video cards (dual monitor) which could slow down the system a little.

You can’t lose: the SSD solution provides a huge performance gain with Photoshop. Perhaps installing 16/24/32GB memory would be helpful as well, but it does show the power of SSDs, and SSDs benefit any program that accesses the disk. It’s also suggestive that a 64-bit Photoshop CS5 potentially offers a large performance boost.

Hmm, there was mention in the other thread about the "new" SR, anandtech reviews of SSD's

The reviewer ^above took some jabs at anand:

Sandforce has been less than clear on its controller and firmware combinations. A small company with a great product, and poor communication so far. And that includes late-in-the-game production firmware changes that led to a sleep issue (now resolved).

My extensive discussion with OWC on this matter satisfies me that OWC has done the right thing at every step of the game. This section now reflects the state of things as I understand them as of April 17, 2010.

One online source (anandtech) has created a firestorm by claiming lower performance for the 1200 firmware vs the 1500 firmware, based on specifications alone, without any real-world tests, certainly no tests relevant to any Mac user. This claim is so confusing and irrelevant to any real-world use on a Mac or PC (even very demanding use) that it must be understood for what it is: a disservice to anyone looking for a solution.

This review focuses on real-world performance, not specifications or speculation.

Edited by udaman

We likely won't have an OWC to review or Patriot. Patriot said our review request is noted but made it clear we won't be getting one any time soon. These companies are so small they don't really bother much with review sites, outside of Anand and perhaps Ton's or a few others. It's hard to be too grumpy about it - but if Patriot isn't able to afford to send out SSDs to reviewers, that should send a pretty clear message about their ability to support and develop their product as well. Really, their out of pocket hard costs on a drive can't be much. But that's their decision and the same one OCZ, Mushkin, Corsair and many others have made. I could go on and on about their short-sighted marketing decisions but I'll stop.