Sign in to follow this  
kreativ

Question about RAID and TLER - Is WD the only brand affected?

I've read you have to use the WD TLER utility so that Caviar hard drives can be used in RAID, and that more recently produced Caviar hard drives do not allow the utility to be used.

I'm looking to put together a simple RAID1 with RAID integrated into the motherboard chipset (e.g. Intel G45, or AMD/nVidia chipsets for AMD).

1. Does this TLER issue only affect WD Caviar hard drives? I don't seem to see any fuss over TLER with the other hard drive brands.

2. Does TLER on the hard drive only become an issue with hardware RAID, or is it also an issue with RAID integrated into the motherboard chipset?

Other brands are affected, but WD is affected the most, and hence they are the most notorious offenders by far. This is in large part due to multiple enterprise customers being... yeah, I should probably stop here.

It affects integrated RAID as well, however TLER is generally most problematic when drives are under the highest stress, and since most chipst RAID users are doing only RAID1 or RAID0, which is less stressful on drives (much fewer writes/reads as those do not need to have parity calculated), the problem is generally less apparent.