Sign in to follow this  
ScottFern

Adaptec RAID 31205 controller not detecting drives

I just installed an Adaptec 31205 Raid controller into my file server, and I bought generic mini-sas to sata cables for my hard drives.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/raid/sas_raid/SAS-31205/

I have 5 x SAMSUNG HD154UI 1.5TB drives connect to the raid controller, but in Raid bios it does not detect any of the drives. I even tried hooking up 2 different Hitachi sata hard drives and nothing.

Now, the only constant I can think of is that all 7 of the drives have data/volume/old raid array on them. Would this be reason the drives would not detect?

I can only think of three reasons why the drives are not coming up?

1) generic mini-sas to sata cables not working/incompatible

2) The fact there is data/volume/raid config on all 7 drives and none are unallocated

3) The drives are just not supported by the raid controller

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Some left over metadata in on the HDD's could confuse the Adaptec controller. It should not though. If possible you could format one of the disks? Using a different controller or PC off-course.

Other then that, are you running he latest firmware? That is also important!

Let us know!

Some left over metadata in on the HDD's could confuse the Adaptec controller. It should not though. If possible you could format one of the disks? Using a different controller or PC off-course.

Let us know!

I just upgraded to the latest firmware last night. Something is definitely up? I just realized my Hitachi 2TB drive is on the approved list so I have no idea why these drives are not being detected?

I am going to format the Samsung drives and see what happens.

It was on your list, but I'd also try some different cables, seems strange for all those drives to fail.

And...welcome to the forums ;)

It was on your list, but I'd also try some different cables, seems strange for all those drives to fail.

And...welcome to the forums ;)

Brian this is what I am thinking about also. The controller works and reports NO errors whatsoever in the raid bios or in the Adaptec Storage Manager in Windows. I know the drives are working and have proper power as I can see them on the built-in SATA controller. I have tried over 7 hard drives with 2 of them being on the officially approved list.

I have no other choice but to try an OFFICIAL Adaptec Mini-SAS to SATA cable. Make sense?

Let us know!

I figured out the issue. My OFFICIAL Adaptec Mini-SAS to SATA cable arrived this afternoon and now the drives are detected!!! Last time I ever buy generic mini-sas cables!

Ah, great to hear it's been fixed. I've only ever used the adaptec cables with the adaptec controllers. Will think twice about buying different ones now! Weird it did not work though.

I'm surprised that solved the problem too, but you never know what quality you're getting with generics...unless they have a good brand history. Anyway, congrats.