Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Simply Amazing 16TB Total Custom Media Server Build

I can't believe I just watched this 10 minute video of Will Urbina creating what is simply an amazing 16TB server for his media files. He machined the entire case and selected components with the goal of:

...having storage space. I wanted a very low powered system running 24/7 and, like the stellar remnant from which it derives its name, for it to run cool and contain a mass completely unprecedented for its size. I'd say a 1.6ghz Intel Atom, 2gb of Ram, and over 16tb of storage in a case no bigger than a shoe box accomplishes this quite well. This is the Black Dwarf.

Just watch the video and if you want to make your own copy, here's what you need...in addition to a lot of skill and time.

Quanmax Industrial KEEX-2030 Atom 3.5" Mainboard (Intel Atom N270)

2GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-5300 SODIMM

Highpoint RocketRAID 2680

Serener 120w DC-DC PSU

8x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green 3.5" HDD

320GB Western Digital Scorpio Black 2.5" HDD

30GB OCZ Vertex Series SSD

Will's site

i love it. how much would he charge, i wonder, for one? i would pay good money for that. without the hardware even. i thought of doing something similar, but I don’t possess the tools needed.

I don't think he ever sells them or takes the designs to market, but yes, it's exceedingly cool. The case with just the proper screw holes would be pretty sweet, I'd pay for that if I needed 16TB of storage ;)

If I had the time, tools, and money (for the tools) something like that would be an awesome project. I wonder how custom it is for that little motherboard or if he stuck to like a ITX standard so it could be replaced if needed.

Wow, very nice indeed!!! Having a 21TB server myself I especially can appreciate this project!

Awesome little NAS system I'd say. I'd worry about cooling a bit though. The single fan could be enough, but it would produce noise, especially being so thin as he chose. Also, where is his intake and how does he ensure air passes between all the HDD's?

Other then that, absolutely awesome indeed! :D

He's angling the harddisks? Probably ok for his little project but not something I'd recommend for a production build. :P

I wonder how his disk temps are, especially for the disk furthest from the fan. Even with a 3W idle I'd still wonder. And finally using an external power brick for the +12v... I still wonder about reliability. I've had so many fail on WD's and LaCie's and OWC's and everyone. Sigh.

But ok I'll stop whining.. it does look awesome!!!!!!! I want one. (almost)

i have 4 WDEARS stacked one on top another mounted in an external enclosure. packed tight with no air flow what so ever. they get noticeably warm, but nothing i would classify as "hot." but they are definitely not cool.

i would totally pay money for that case empty with pre-set wholes. but i would want it to be a standard ITX, even thought it would be a little bigger.