diskman

Any merrit in Hybrid RAID server storage

Anyone experienced or tried to install a SSD (say 64GB or 128GB) for say direct cache access in a windows file server 2003 std with a mechanical RAID array lets say for example 3 WD disk SATA 2 RE RAID 5 Adapect SCSI U320 raid controller for HBA and for capacity.....

If so I'm interested in your experience....Where you purchace this, supplier, configuration and if it adds any reasonable performance gains per cost over same system but without the SSD?

Cheers

Funny, since you posted this, both Adaptec and LSI have announced RAID cards with support for an SSD as a secondary cache in front of HDD arrays. I think the combination is promising, though we haven't been able to test in house yet.

I too think this is a very interesting technology which will actually shape the storage to come in the next few years. I have an adaptec 5805 myself and am willing to pay for the SSD (consumer intel version), but don't want to buy the adaptec license for it.

I runs a 7x5400 RPM 2TB array using VMware ESXi 4.0. Perfect enviroment I would say to see great SSD speed gains.

Sadly, no key, no glory. :(

Anyone experienced or tried to install a SSD (say 64GB or 128GB) for say direct cache access in a windows file server 2003 std with a mechanical RAID array lets say for example 3 WD disk SATA 2 RE RAID 5 Adapect SCSI U320 raid controller for HBA and for capacity.....

If so I'm interested in your experience....Where you purchace this, supplier, configuration and if it adds any reasonable performance gains per cost over same system but without the SSD?

Cheers

I have been asking this on SAN/NAS since 2005, even before the introduction of SSD.

The General Idea was to use a hybird of SCSI and IDE or now SAS and S-ATA. Fundamentally it works like any of the disk defragmentation. where the most frequently accessed data is move to the top i.e. the fastest drive and the oldest data is moved off of it back on to slower storage. Still i have not seen this solution.

There's an article with some benchmarks on Adaptec's MaxIQ system here

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/maxiq-ssd-cache,2511.html

You have to use x25-e's for cache though it won't let you enable it on x25-m's

I'd test it myself but I only have x25-m's

Tom's conclusion is about what you'd expect - so long as the working set is under the cache size the performance is great. The real question is what size is the working set of your average desktop, gaming, server, etc? It's hard to say.

Edited by gfody

There's an article with some benchmarks on Adaptec's MaxIQ system here

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/maxiq-ssd-cache,2511.html

You have to use x25-e's for cache though it won't let you enable it on x25-m's

I'd test it myself but I only have x25-m's

Tom's conclusion is about what you'd expect - so long as the working set is under the cache size the performance is great. The real question is what size is the working set of your average desktop, gaming, server, etc? It's hard to say.

Nope. That was the old version.

The new version has certified the X25-M's too and also you do not need to buy them from Adaptec anymore.

This was announced at the Cebit and has since been built into the firmware from 2 or 3 weeks back. Also, more firmware updates should follow which will allow you to do write caching on an SSD as well.

Personally I use my server for VMware ESXi purposes and I believe it could mean a great improvement for me!

I have not tried the new firmware yet or have the SSD. But I believe it will be required to enter some kind of unlock code to enable the feature. :(