Sign in to follow this  
cffrost

Performance Database

It is my hope that the existing Performance Database will be archived and replaced with test results performed on whatever platform has been in use since SR was resurrected. Comments welcome; thank you.

We're creating a new database now for the drives we review and/or benchmark. Once that's up, the prior version will be removed but won't go away. Just like the previous benchmarks have been handled to date.

I think what cffrost wants is for SR to retest (a selection of) drives from the previous testbed on the new testbed, so that it's possible to make a fair comparison to (some of) the older drives.

This sounds pretty time consuming to me, and it might be awkward to obtain the drives in question if they stayed with the site's previous owners, but I think it would be worthwhile to have at least a few of the best re-reviewed - older Raptors and Velociraptors, some of the older large drives, Green Power - type drives, some laptop drives, maybe some 10K and 15K SCSI drives. Basically re-test the best in each category from the old testbed, to provide a link when comparing newer reviews to older ones.

Unfortunately none of the hardware Eugene had came with the site, so all we have is well...what we have. And testing old drives is dangerous anyway as performance can degrade over time.

It would be nice if the performance database allows to filter the drives displayed.

For example:

1. Minimum drive size
  2. Maximum drive site
  3. Only list certain interfaces (SATA, PATA, etc)

This isn't the best thread to discuss it, but we are going to re-write the entire tool to make it more usable.