Sign in to follow this  
sgrossklass

Samsung Spinpoint V80 & P80 2MB

While there are entries for the P80 series drives with 8 MiB of cache, there have never been any for the following:

P80 w/ 2 MiB cache - (SP0401N, SP0612N, )SP0802N, SP1203N, SP1604N (copy existing models, except cache 2048K; you could seemingly already buy them in May 2003 while the 8 meggers hadn't yet materialised in July)

V80 family - (SV0401N, )SV0802N, SV1203N, SV1604N (as above, but 5400/min and again cache 2048K)

That always bugged me because we used to have a SP1604N until not so long ago (it was then sold in working condition), and a SV0802N is still serving as a backup drive. These Samsungs were extremely popular then (mostly the 80+ gig models though, but I listed the uncommon 40/60 giggers anyway), as they were inexpensive, decent performers and generally very quiet albeit with some variation in terms of vibration levels. Certainly better than the Seagates of the day (a sad sight for an old Seagate fan like me).

Can you find a press release on these drives so I can get the date? All I can find is the announcement that replaces these with the 120 series.