scotte1

Need some advice on HD's

Hi,

Im speccing out 6 servers for our unit, I like the costing of Dell Servers and the Perc 6/i card will do for us. However I am banging my head against the wall with regards to storage. Now I am pretty new to server scene, I aint gonna lie, but very comfortable around computer hardware, have built many machines in my past, admittadly not servers.

Issue is this, I am trying to do this as cheap as possible (not use cheap drives!) as we are a non profit. However the dell costing for the hard drives is crazy, $540 for a 1tb 7200rpm sata disk ????!??! I know I can get them cheaper else where. What is standard practice for purchasing HDD hardware from vendors? I know they wont be covered under dell warranty. But I have 34 drives in my design, thats alot of money through dell, i can buy two more servers for that!

These servers are going to be Essential Business Server + 2 terminal servers, its going to be used by 50 people.

I was thinking of the following (see attached PDF), Ive mostly plumped for the R3 Drives, should I do this?, is there any problems someone can see?, or should I just fire someone so i can afford dell drives ? Couple things that do concern me, are the file storage, will it be fast enough, and on the sql, the database being on raptors, do they work well in a server enviroment, all users will be using software that uses SQL.

Any feedback, would be greatly appreciated.

hardrives.pdf

What is standard practice for purchasing HDD hardware from vendors? I know they wont be covered under dell warranty.
Well, two common questions...

1) will the 3rd party drives work in your chosen box (or are they firmware locked to Dell-firmware disks?)

2) do you need special Dell-only drive trays or...?

If 3rd party drives wont' even work then the issue is moot.

Tons of people use PERC6/i's off eBay with 3rd party disks in non-Dell systems, but I have no idea in your specific example...

Well, two common questions...

1) will the 3rd party drives work in your chosen box (or are they firmware locked to Dell-firmware disks?)

2) do you need special Dell-only drive trays or...?

If 3rd party drives wont' even work then the issue is moot.

Tons of people use PERC6/i's off eBay with 3rd party disks in non-Dell systems, but I have no idea in your specific example...

Perc 6/i isnt firmware locked, the Perc H series is/was, but due to public pressure will be unlocked by june according to dell, which i read today. As for the trays, I believe they are special only dell trays, but i found a 3rd party that sell them, the machines will be poweredge 410 and 610. Although I may try to get the trays through dell (they generally dont sell them seperately but i am buying 6 servers plus a crap load of thin clients!), i am dealing with a dell sales rep, but he is really trying to push the drives on me.

I don't have much experience with file servers, so I really can't help out as to whether the drives will be fast enough.

I do have a bit more experience with webservers and database servers, but usually with MySQL. Using 10K RPM drives is pretty typical and from what I know, the Raptors will be just fine. WD markets them as "enterprise", so they better be. I've even seen some high traffic forums sites (several thousand concurrent users) with the database server running a pair of RAID1 mirrored 10K drives and doing just fine. So, I think your config looks good.

Have you looked into virtualizaton?

Do you really need all that space on each server?

Im guessing these are all towers.

If the sales person is acting that way, you should probably try to find another rep or team.

I know the last quote I got on a T610 with rackmount rails and 4x 1tb drives was around 2200 after tax and shipping.

Whats the salesperson's name? I setup an office for a non-profit last year and dealt with Keith_McGee@dell.com

He has been great throughout all the orders I have placed for the NPO. I built the server myself but he was pushing one of their servers and was willing to reduce the drive prices a great deal.

From my experience with Keith, I have found that just about everything can be discounted (from Velociraptors to projectors).

Oh yeah, Dell usually has great financing/lines of credit terms (the non-profit I worked for had a $20k / no interest for 12 months LOC)

On a side note, Dell's hard drive shipping is far superior to newegg's.

Whats the salesperson's name? I setup an office for a non-profit last year and dealt with Keith_McGee@dell.com

He has been great throughout all the orders I have placed for the NPO. I built the server myself but he was pushing one of their servers and was willing to reduce the drive prices a great deal.

From my experience with Keith, I have found that just about everything can be discounted (from Velociraptors to projectors).

Oh yeah, Dell usually has great financing/lines of credit terms (the non-profit I worked for had a $20k / no interest for 12 months LOC)

On a side note, Dell's hard drive shipping is far superior to newegg's.

thanks for the info, unfortunately my rep is canadian, coz im in canada, so im not sure keith would be able to help, my sales rep gave me a pricing structure with hard drives included, the difference was almost $5k