Sign in to follow this  
Brian

SR Review Queue

I've talked to a few members about what's in our review queue right now...there's a bunch. Here's the question...do you guys care about what we're playing with and would like like a say in what gets reviewed next?

Happy to make this as interactive as possible if there's interest in such a thing.

hmmm... how come no one has responded to this topic yet???

yes, i would love to know what is in the review queue. it could impact purchasing decisions. if i see something in your queue that is on my radar for purchase, i more than likely will hold off on buying it until i see what you have to say about it.

I guess no one cares :(

But for your benefit...we're releasing the Plextor SSD review next, then one of the three green drives we have - Caviar Green, Seagate LP or the Samsung F3EG. If you have a favorite there's time to influence which comes out first.

I have no current favorites, but it's nice to know what's in the queue.

Thanks,

John;)

Plextor Jumped on the SSD bandwagon? ... interesting.

I like the idea of a published review queue, so we can see whats comming up, and then discuss what should come next.

Well, once we get these next two reviews out, I'll update the initial post with what we're looking at and we can continue this thread.

hey Brian, got some questions for you.

for hard drive review suggestions:

could we have a "green hard drive face-off" or something to the affect? i know you have some single green drive reviews coming up, but i thought it would be extremely beneficial to have a green "face-off" of sorts...

the other thing:

if i gave you something, would you review it? i dont know if you followed my thread, "Having Truble Reading GUID Partiton Table (GPT) on Different Computers" but i have an enclosure i would like you to test. i dont know your time table, how you test in terms of available test beds, different type of controllers, blablabla, but i would like you to take a look at it. you may have a high-rise downtown with unlimited resources to through at this thing. you may also be working out of your parents basement with a $100 a month budget. i dont know. but i will mail you this POS and have you run it through the ringer. i have exhausted all my resources here.

i'm looking to see it tested on a larger variety of motherboards and operation systems, along with testing it on more port multiplier aware hardware. i need a professionals opinion on it. i tried contacting tec support about my issues. there answer was, "sorry, never seen it do that before. you should return it." well, i bought a second one thinking i may have a faulty one and it acted the same. its behavior is extremely predictable and easily recreated. at least on my hardware. i'm either an idiot, or the didnt test this thing for nothing before sending it to market.

regardless, i want you to do bad, bad things to it.

i only ask two things:

you do bad, bad things to it by the end of the month.

you return it(in one piece, with no bullet wholes) when your done.

would you be interested?

Interesting. Round ups are very useful, if you've got a bunch of similar to review at once, as it saves all the flicking back and forth comparing stats, and you get a clearer conclusion at the end of it, rather than having to work out which was reviewed last and seeing what, if anything, the last one said about the others. Should be less resource intensive to produce as well (one set of graphs, one set of comments for each section, etc.). Just need to make sure it's obvious which drives are being reviewed, so it's easy to find the review of a particular drive model if it was done as part of a group test.

As for priority... the faster, the higher! Review the big, fast or quiet stuff as a priority, with the main focus being on SSDs and bulk storage, followed by notebook drives and more ordinary desktop hard drives. At least in my opinion! I think the readership will be more interested in learning about or buying SSDs and more bulk storage, rather than replacing notebook drives or getting a slightly faster hard drive for OS etc. usage. And yes, the VelociRaptor is an exception, but you've already done that one! And noise is a critical angle for HTPC builders, and one that can only really be got from independent, well conducted reviews.

I'll be watching for that list!

On the greens, we're waiting for a 2TB Caviar Green so we can compare same size drives. We have a 1TB CG, but 2TB Samsung F3EG and 2TB Seagate LP. Those three will be reviewed independently, but benched against each other so you can compare as soon as we post the first one.

As to shooting up your enclosure...we don't have time for it right now, sorry. The drive pile is still very high and we have some top secret stuff coming in soon that we need to allow time for. ;)

Noise testing is something we'll do, but want to have a more scientific plan. For now it's observational, while we figure out a better long term option.

Oh, and next up is the Intel V-line SSD...after that one of the 2TB greens, probably the Sammy.

i would love to see a "face-off" between the Samsung EcoGreen, WD Green, and Seagate LP. The outcome of such a review would directly influence my purchasing decisions.

to expand on what Spod said. i personally dont care much about poultry, mainstream, 7200RPM desktop drives. they dont bring anything different to the table. when i purchase a drive for mainstream, everyday, applications price and only price is what influences my decisions. for instance, if someone wants me to upgrade the storage capacity of their mid of the line, everyday normal computer, my decision is based 98% on price and nothing more. what are the specials? who is shipping what for free? what is the current price v. capacity sweet spot?

its when you get into special stuff is where i start to really care. in may particular case, i have personally seen an explosion in the request, need, or desire for low heat, low power, hard drives were performance is no concern what so ever. i have invested heavily in the WD Greens only because they are marked well. i discovered the Seagate LP by accident, purchasing the cheapest 1.5TB drive i could find. had NO idea Seagate had a green line...

the EcoGreen seems to have just recently made it on my radar.

anyhow. these are the things that i'm interested in and judging by the forums with posts such as, "what hard drive for my HTPC," or "need cool and quite drives for raid 5," you get the point... they are questions on other peoples minds too.

and for you not taking my enclosure? what a sad, sad state of affairs we are in where you cant GIVE hardware away. lol

Edited by pico1180

Alright, well the Intel 40GB SSD review is going up Monday, then we'll do a green drive toward the end of that week.

Also, a top secret product is coming in next week that we'll have to make room for. This is significant and special ;)

Right now if anyone has questions, I am running benchmarks on the SAS version of the Seagate Constellation ES through our LSI 9260 RAID card (single drive RAID0). Since our primary comparables (SATA Constellation, RE4, etc) are SATA drives that were benchmarked through the Intel onboard ICH controller I am re-running benchmarks on those drives connected through the RAID controller in the same way.

I will probably replace a harddrive within a few months so I'm also looking forward to a face-off between green drives. SSDs are nice but so far the price is too high for me.