Sign in to follow this  
Darking

SSDs in equallogic PS6000S boxes

Hi.

Im trying to track down what type of drive is used in the Dell Equallogic PS 6000s 16 SSD ISCSI array?

All i can see in information is that its 100GB, wich is a bit unusual size for most vendors. i assume it might be a drive thats formatted short of full capacity to optimize wearleveling a bit.

The 50GB and 100GB SSD capacities may not be common in the consumer space, in fact I can't recall any that hit those numbers on the nose, but I suspect they're more common with enterprise level SSDs. For instance, the Seagate Pulsar comes in a capacities up to 200GB. I don't know, but would hazard a guess that it's reasonable that the Pulsar could also come in 50GB and 100GB capacities, which are what's used in that Equallogic PS6000s.

As to being sure about the drives used, I tried using Dell's chat, but no one answered and it failed. Tried calling the number, but only got voicemail. Sorry :( I did email a contact though to see if I could get a definitive answer or at least support for my enterprise SSD capacity theory above.

The 50GB and 100GB SSD capacities may not be common in the consumer space, in fact I can't recall any that hit those numbers on the nose, but I suspect they're more common with enterprise level SSDs. For instance, the Seagate Pulsar comes in a capacities up to 200GB. I don't know, but would hazard a guess that it's reasonable that the Pulsar could also come in 50GB and 100GB capacities, which are what's used in that Equallogic PS6000s.

As to being sure about the drives used, I tried using Dell's chat, but no one answered and it failed. Tried calling the number, but only got voicemail. Sorry :( I did email a contact though to see if I could get a definitive answer or at least support for my enterprise SSD capacity theory above.

Thanks Brian.

There were talks when it was first released, that it probably would be STEC drives, but the pricing doesnt really support it, ive gotten a qoute on the box for around 40.000$, wich may sound like alot, but really for enterprise storage isnt totally crazy, i know from EMC dealings in the past that the STEC drives cost 5000-6000$ a piece, so im fairly certain its another vendor :)

How can you not love an SSD named Zeus? Notice their capacity is up to 400GB for the 2.5" and 800GB for the 3.5". They don't break down the other sizes available, but I guess it's at least consistent with the enterprise SSDs coming in round numbers.

Samsung makes 50GB and 100GB in enterprise SSDs too.

BTW - let me know if you need help spending that 40k.

According to our account manager, Dell use Samsung SSDs in their Equallogic SANs (or at least they did when we had a demo of one last year).

Haha - I win a prize right? Or at least you owe me some nice benchmarks if you end up buying that server.

Haha - I win a prize right? Or at least you owe me some nice benchmarks if you end up buying that server.

Will do if we end up buying it.