Brian

4 SSD RAID0 - For the fun of it

LSI sent us a few RAID cards today, so we promptly started playing with the MegaRAID SAS 8888ELP. And I do mean playing, instead of doing something productive, like testing the Seagate Savvio 10k.4's we have, we jammed together 4 SSDs we have sitting on the desk in RAID0. The best part is, these SSDs are very pedestrian, so there's even less reason to actually do this in practice. However, if you've been dying to know how a 4 SSD RAID0 with WD SiliconEdge Blue 256GB, imation 128GB, Kingston SNV425 128GB and Plextor 128GB SSD perform, here you go ;)

post-69523-12692900361323_thumb.png

Hah, but the one you have is better than a few of these combined ;)

How is that Vertex holding up?

I haven't done any benchmarking with it, since its in the HTPC and all. Boot times are so speedy though, and there is not even a consideration of lag when I navigate around Boxee or XBMC. I've been so impressed I've been awfully tempted when I keep seeing it go on sale with 40 dollar rebates to pick up one for the laptop and one for the desktop.

Those 4K write speeds are an insult to SSDs....

A single Intel drive tops that - and top speeds are impressive, but for all those small files, rather unimportant...

Or updates in a temp file.

Now the question is, why are they so low? Is it the SSD's controllers? Is it the RAID card?

Edited by DetlevCM

hmm, that is a bit disappointing, but for mixing so many different SSD's, some of which aren't widly spread, I guess it isn't half bad! Fun experiment indeed! :D

Here is a screenshot of the newest crystalmark running on my Vertex 120GB SSD on a ICH10R. Just for comparison.

120GBvertex1.5firmware.png

well, 4k read/writes are far from good, but that's probably resulting from the use of 4 different types of ssds

got myself 8 30gb vertex and an intel rs2bl080 (lsi megaraid 9260-8i)

gotta say, i'm quite happy with them :)

bhckr3gin1h4xtrqu.png

bhcjtbfxih8itr452.png

Edited by Ulukay