post-44506-1269081470156_thumb.png

post-44506-12690814811687_thumb.png

Hi

i bought a st31000528as 1Tetra

mounted and after 3 or 4 hours died

the wester digital black i guess it's not more trusty then the new seagate

i'm thinking about the wd green edition , should be more lasting, enduring

i would appreciate your advises

Do yourself a favor and get a Hitachi drive. Far more reliable than WD or Seagate.

One broken hard drive does not mean 7200.12 line is not trustful. If I were you, I would try another one.

But, you did not wrote, what kind of drive you would like to have, so it is hard to advise. Afaik, Seagate LP are better than Caviar Greens in low power segment, and in consumer-performance segment Samsung F3 or Caviar Blue/Blacks are good drives too.

One broken hard drive does not mean 7200.12 line is not trustful. If I were you, I would try another one.

But, you did not wrote, what kind of drive you would like to have, so it is hard to advise. Afaik, Seagate LP are better than Caviar Greens in low power segment, and in consumer-performance segment Samsung F3 or Caviar Blue/Blacks are good drives too.

thanks

do you think samsung and blue/black have a more long life?

well i bought the seagate thinking it 's trusty

i can replace with a wester digital black or green or another seagate

i want an sata

i bought 1Tetra , so i can change it for a 1t green/black or samsung

what i would like a trusty drive

i found out seagate now are made in china with recycled materials :(

Edited by drugo

thanks

do you think samsung and blue/black have a more long life?

No. According to my experience, all manufacturers have similar failure rate.

well i bought the seagate thinking it 's trusty

Yes it is. But every product line has few percent of defective pieces. That is normal. If you buy enterprise HDD, you just have a lower probability to get defective HDD.

i want an sata, i bought 1Tetra , so i can change it for a 1t green/black or samsung, what i would like a trusty drive

What you prefer the most? Speed, consumption, noise characteristic? For maximum speed, go for Samsung F3 or Caviar Blue/Black. For low noise and low power consumption, go for Seagate LP. If you want well balanced drive, little slower than WD Caviar, but much more quieter and more energy efficient, go for Seagate 7200.12. It is up to you. I would probably choose exactly same drive as you, ST31000528AS.

i found out seagate now are made in china with recycled materials :(

Environment friendly product is advantage, not disadvantage. Recycled materials is usually sign of product quality, because vendor is able to reuse them. It just chemistry and material engineering in a material circle.

Rumors say drives produced in China has lower quality than drives from Thailand or Malaysia (all of them are made in asia). Maybe you can find some statistics on web. But Seagate is not the only one, who produce drives in China, and China is not the only one country, where Seagate produce its drives. So if you do not trust drives from china, you can choose any HDD vendor, all of them offer drives from somewhere else

Yes it is. But every product line has few percent of defective pieces. That is normal. If you buy enterprise HDD, you just have a lower probability to get defective HDD.

What you prefer the most? Speed, consumption, noise characteristic? For maximum speed, go for Samsung F3 or Caviar Blue/Black. For low noise and low power consumption, go for Seagate LP. If you want well balanced drive, little slower than WD Caviar, but much more quieter and more energy efficient, go for Seagate 7200.12. It is up to you. I would probably choose exactly same drive as you, ST31000528AS.

Environment friendly product is advantage, not disadvantage. Recycled materials is usually sign of product quality, because vendor is able to reuse them. It just chemistry and material engineering in a material circle.

Rumors say drives produced in China has lower quality than drives from Thailand or Malaysia (all of them are made in asia). Maybe you can find some statistics on web. But Seagate is not the only one, who produce drives in China, and China is not the only one country, where Seagate produce its drives. So if you do not trust drives from china, you can choose any HDD vendor, all of them offer drives from somewhere else

What do you mean by the word "died"? Do you mean the hard drive is not spinning? or is it clicking?

Edited by gus

What do you mean by the word "died"? Do you mean the hard drive is not spinning? or is it clicking?

look the screeshot

boot my pc , bios-> error smart backup & replace

thanks a lot ,very kind

i appreciate a lot

have a great day

Also, a disk that fails this quickly into use probably means it was damaged during handling/shipping/installation. This does not rule out of the cause of a factory defect, but handling damage is highly likely to cause an immediate (and 3 hours qualifies as immediate) failure in this case.

Also, a disk that fails this quickly into use probably means it was damaged during handling/shipping/installation. This does not rule out of the cause of a factory defect, but handling damage is highly likely to cause an immediate (and 3 hours qualifies as immediate) failure in this case.

thanks a lot

really i appreciate you help

what i did always care was to shutdown and unplug the pc

might you give me some good advises about install the new driver?

i mean what should i do to install it to avoid possibile damages

Short: Follow standard ESD handling procedures.

Long: Never touch other than the sides of the drive, avoid touching the top, bottom, including the circuit board. Do not stack other hardware on top of drives, do not stack drives, when handling and storing drives do not have them touch each other, always work in an ESD safe workstation including ESD mats, grounding straps, etc.

Also, a major part is also handling at the retailer you purchase the drive from, as well as shipping. Those issues are harder to address, although by buying retail boxed drives you can relieve a considerable part of that risk (although if a whole pallet of drives gets dropped from a forklift, retailed boxed or not, you may be SOL... :P ).

Short: Follow standard ESD handling procedures.

Long: Never touch other than the sides of the drive, avoid touching the top, bottom, including the circuit board. Do not stack other hardware on top of drives, do not stack drives, when handling and storing drives do not have them touch each other, always work in an ESD safe workstation including ESD mats, grounding straps, etc.

hard to mount if i have to touch only the sides of the drive :(

thanks