jpiszcz

Anyone out there using the ~fastest HDD's in the world?

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/servers/cheetah/cheetah_15k.7/

Model ST3600057SS 6-Gb/s SAS 600 GB

What type of RAID card could handle sustained 500MiB/s minimum throughput on these drives?

I know LSI has some 6Gbps ones..

Anyone have any of these in the field?

What type of controllers are you using with them?

Areca SAS ARC1680ix series controllers could handle this kind of throughput quite nicely, even the SAS300 ones.

Edited by Jus

could handle sustained 500MiB/s minimum throughput on these drives?
where'd you get that?

The link provided in Overview > Key Advantages says:

Unprecedented performance with a 16 percent increase in sustained data rate over the last generation, up to 171 MB/sec.
171MB/sec max is nowhere near 500MB/sec.

and the fastest SAS RAID cards now appear to be the LSI Logic 9210-8i and 9260-8i/9261-8i... those puppies scale nicely with up to 8 Intel X25-E SSDs. :D

where'd you get that?

The link provided in Overview > Key Advantages says:

171MB/sec max is nowhere near 500MB/sec.

and the fastest SAS RAID cards now appear to be the LSI Logic 9210-8i and 9260-8i/9261-8i... those puppies scale nicely with up to 8 Intel X25-E SSDs. :D

Hi,

Sorry to be ambiguous, I meant these drives in a RAID configuration.

I just found something, PERC H800 has PCI Express 2.0 and says it can do 2.0gbps, I believe the person who was wondering this, (I was inquiring for them) should do good with that, they will use RAID-0 (purpose=scratch disk).

Justin.

I have 8 of 300GB model at home for my VMware lab. I don't use hardware raid but software raid-10 in Solaris ZFS, plus 1 SLC SSD as write cache and 1 MLC SSD as read cache. Controller is LSI 1068e SAS HBA, connecting to external Supermicro chassis using 4x SAS lanes. I'm able to hit 1.2GB/s for sequential write. For read, due to the way ZFS works, plus SSD read cache, I'm able to get over 2GB/s. The test is done writing 0 using dd so it's not real world.

I export LUNs through 4Gb FC to VMware ESX hosts and my VMs run very fast, both sequential read/write and random read/write are super fast. Again, a lot of the performance is contributed by ZFS when using SSD as read and write cache.

I have 8 of 300GB model at home for my VMware lab. I don't use hardware raid but software raid-10 in Solaris ZFS, plus 1 SLC SSD as write cache and 1 MLC SSD as read cache. Controller is LSI 1068e SAS HBA, connecting to external Supermicro chassis using 4x SAS lanes. I'm able to hit 1.2GB/s for sequential write. For read, due to the way ZFS works, plus SSD read cache, I'm able to get over 2GB/s. The test is done writing 0 using dd so it's not real world.

I export LUNs through 4Gb FC to VMware ESX hosts and my VMs run very fast, both sequential read/write and random read/write are super fast. Again, a lot of the performance is contributed by ZFS when using SSD as read and write cache.

How much per TB? $/TB?