Sign in to follow this  
Quindor

Adaptec 5805 with 7x Samsung 2TB Ecogreen benchmarking

If everything goes right, my new 2TB EcoGreen Samsung disks will be in tomorrow. That will give me time to do some benchmarks tomorrow night, to stress the array, to benchmark the array and to test it's stability off course. I'm planning into taking it into production either Friday evening or Saturday.

Planning to run the array using a Adaptec 5805 with 7 disks. The 8th disk position has been kept free to maybe use a MaxIQ module in the future.

System specs (to test, array will be moved to server later on) :

Asus Rampage II Gene

Core i7 - 920 @ 4.0Ghz

6GB Memory

Vertex SSD as boot disk, 1.5TB Samsung EcoGreen as data storage

So, what would everyone like to see? I have my own tools I use, but I'd love to know what kind of tools you people use and which results you find interesting.

You could call it a review, with which you can fill in the settings and benchmarks yourselves!

Don't hesitate to respond, even simple suggestions are fine! Will fill the topic with screenshots and maybe a few photos later on! (when everything is in)

Edited by Quindor

Are these the latest generation Samsung F3EG drives? We're expecting our review drive in the first week of April for comparison.

Are these the latest generation Samsung F3EG drives? We're expecting our review drive in the first week of April for comparison.

Yes, you are correct. The exact type is the Samsung Spinpoint F3EG HD203WI.

Let me know what you would like me to test, maybe as a prelude to the official review. Since I will be connecting these to a RAID controller, results would be influenced a bit by that (I can turn off cache on the controller). If you would like, I'm willing to hook one up to my motherboard controller (ICH10R) and run some tests using that too.

Come on people, nobody have any standard benchmark tools you use and things you'd like to see? IOmeter pattern files, etc. ?

I'll start off myself.

Planning on running the tests below on the full 7 disk array in Raid-5, NCQ, Write-back caching enabled, Drive cache enabled :

Attobench - 32MB (within cache)

Attobench - 256MB (within cache)

Attobench - 512MB (on cache limit)

Attobench - 2GB (defeats cache)

HDtach - Read & Write, Burst speed

HDtune - Various tabs, will run them all

IOmeter - Workstation, fileserver, web server pattern

IOmeter - self developed pattern

DD - Zero to disk, disk to Zero

CrystalDiskMark - 100MB

CrystalDiskMark - 1000MB

Anything else?

Edited by Quindor

I think running the tests we'll have in the review would be solid...Iometer servers, 500GB crystal, etc.

I was hoping to be posting my benchmarks right now (most have been made), but I've run into a bit of problems at a clients site, fixing those first. ;) Will probably be tonight before I can put them online!

Edited by Quindor

Well then, currently in the middle of migrating my data from my current storage to the new storage. Since this storage is based within VMware ESXi, this is a bit harder. What I ended up doing is making my workstation ESXi compatbile, and running that server besides it. Then, transferring all the VM's I wished to use through FTP and the data inside the windows storage VM using the network. When this is done, I will build the new array into the "old" server and thus have completed my data migration.

Good, as I promised I was going to make benchmarks and such. For this I have compiled a zip file which you can find included in this post! For some reason the upload feature does not function, so you can download an archive over here. The file names are in a bit of a cryptic format, but hey. I'll start making a new post which makes a sort of review of everything.

Edited by Quindor

Well then, benchmarking is completed and over the weekend I took the array into production!

Pictures of the build/upgrade can be found by clicking on the following picture:

IMG_4279.JPG

Benchmarks can be found by clicking on the next picture. The pictures themselves have a description of how and what :

adaptec_5805_7x2TB%20Sam%20F3EG-stripedbyOS_invmware_paravirt.jpg

1.6TB/sec within VMware from the controller cache! NICE! :D

Ended up with 21TB of gross storage. As I am using various levels of raid or striping on the various disks. Netto space is about 19TB I believe.

Questions, comments, discussions, all very welcome! :D

Nice setup, thanks for taking the time to bench and post the results!

Sure, no problem! Have always been a storage enthousiast en also have my daytime job in that field. :)

Just wanted to report that since the build one of the Samsung 2TB Ecogreen's has failed on me. Crashed my raidset multiple times and alarms everywhere!! :unsure:

After being unable to find what was wrong I resorted to use the "full media scan" option inside of the adaptec controller. Scanning all the disks I found 1 disk that reported too many non-remappable errors. Bought a new drive, replaced the failed one, rebuilt the array and since then, no more problems! :D

I'll send the drive for warranty and maybe use the drive I get back as a hotspare or for some other purpose.

Further then that, everything is still working fine. :)

IMG_4425.JPG

Changed the fans on my Chieftec bays because the default fans are way way way too loud. Sure, they provide plenty of airflow, but I don't run 15K disks, but 5400rpm eco disks and some 7200rpm. Changed the fans, server is quiet again and disks (the 7200rpm's) only get slightly warm at best..... so cooling is still sufficient.

Still very satisfied with the bays. Excellent quality. Please click the photo for the rest of the photos in the album.

Edited by Quindor